Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrispcon40 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2011, 12:49 PM
    how big of a hole can i legally cut in a joist. Meaning %
    I need to cut a circular hole in a joist to run a vent for my bathroom exhaust fan. I believe the joist is a 2x9 and the vent is 4inch. Leaving more than 50%. Will that pass inspection in NJ?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 16, 2011, 01:05 PM
    No - it won't pass. The rule is that you can not make a hole larger than 1/3 the height of the joist, So you are limited to 3" diameter max (assuming the true height of the joist is indeed 9"), and the hole must be centered (not near either the top or bottom edge). One solution is to apply "sister" joists on either side like in the photo below, but to pass inspection you'll need to show calculations from a structural engineer that verify it's OK.
    Attached Images

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2011, 03:27 PM
    Never heard of a 2X9 but even with a 2X10 you are over the limit. Sistering works well as shown by ebaines-Great picture!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an employer legally cut your salary in ny? [ 5 Answers ]

If I do not agree to it is it considered quiting?

Cut floor joist in the basement [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about floor joist. I had a contractor cut 2 inches out of the bottom of about 15 2x8 floor joist, to hide the electrical lines, instead of drilling holes through the middle of the joist. I would assume these would have to be sistered is that right or do have a major problem...

Cut attic joist to run toilet pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Can I cut the joists in the Attic to run the pipe from the toilet to the stack, without getting structural problems with the roof?

How big should the cut out be for a shower handle on a stall shower [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of having a stall shower installed and the handyman has cut a large hole in the wall to get the shower handle through the side of the shower. This hole will be covered up by the metal covering for the shower handle but I'm concerned that there's such a large hole under the cap....

View more questions Search