Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alleycat1309 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2011, 06:17 AM
    Briggs and stratton 17hp
    What causes a 17hp briggs to surge on high speed and run rough at mid and low speeds?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2011, 09:27 AM
    Likely dirty jets in the carb that need cleaned. Varnish and gum buildup are leaning the mixture out resulting in the surging.

Sep 16, 2011, 10:39 AM
    Thanks Smoothy I have already cleaned carb I thought that was the problem also. It idles rough and at mid throttle it is rough,then you get above that it starts to smooth out then after it warms up is when the surging starts to happen. Could there be a crack in the manifold or a warp in one of the mounting surfaces causing this? (say a vacumm leak? )
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2011, 10:44 AM
    I'm a bit leary about saying vacuum leak because those are typically far worse at the lower speeds because the volume leaking is a greater percentage of the intake volume at the lower speeds. The leak would tend to be constant.

Did this happen all of a sudden? Or was it gradual that it got this way?

At this point I'm thinking Ignition. Perhaps the woodruf key on the flywheel has sheared and its moved off time? Have you done a compression test or checked the valves recently as two other things to check.

I think I have a service manual for this series engine at home I could look at tonight and see if it says anyhthing. I've never really dealt with something like this that wasn't carb related before.

Sep 16, 2011, 11:16 AM
    Yes it did but the mower belongs to a friend who has a small lawn service he said he killed the mower in a drive way, when I say killed he had the deck on and snuffed it out completely. Saying that I did adjust the valves,checked the key way and cleaned coil and flywheel then give it back to him to use. It lasted about 30 minutes then a puff of blue smoke came out. I checked the valves again,thinking I messed up but didn't,checked key way again,cleaned carb and still can't figure it out. It does have good compression also. This has got me frazzled.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2011, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alleycat1309 View Post
    Yes it did but the mower belongs to a friend who has a small lawn service he said he killed the mower in a drive way, when I say killed he had the deck on and snuffed it out completely. saying that I did adjust the valves,checked the key way and cleaned coil and flywheel then give it back to him to use. It lasted about 30 minutes then a puff of blue smoke came out. I checked the valves again,thinking I messed up but didnt,checked key way agian,cleaned carb and still can't figure it out. It does have good compression also. This has got me frazzled.
    Sort of has me stumped too... but we have other people that do this for a living and not a hobby that will answer in due time. Hopefully they have some better ideas to add.

You are sure its not dropping a cylinder at intermittant periods that's looking like a surge as it starts and stops firing? I've had plugs fail like that on one of these, not once but twice in the last 3 years.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2011, 05:06 PM
    Check your fuel cap make sure its venting .
    Try it with and without the air filter on.
    Check your block vent coming to carb.

Sep 21, 2011, 01:25 PM
    I did try it with the air filter off, no difference, block vent is black tube coming from breather correct? I checked it, no blockage. The surging happens after it has been run for about 20-30 minutes

Sep 21, 2011, 01:38 PM
    I'm still having problems with my 17hp briggs!
    I've gotten discusted with this thing,between asking everybody what's wrong with this thing and doing all suggestion and nothing working. Now this thing has started backfiring again like the valves are out at start up. Still got same surging problem as before,don't know where to go next anybody got any suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toro briggs and stratton 17hp engine oil consumption [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Toro that I just purchased used that consumes 1 quart of oil every 3 hours of use. I removed the air cleaner and engine oil is dumping out for the engine breather. Do these engines have piston ring issues? I just paid 600 bucks for the mower and new engines are about 850 bucks online. Is...

17hp briggs&stratton camshaft removal [ 3 Answers ]

I have trouble with my lawnmower engine turning over just to the compression stroke,somebody said that it might be mcr,or machanical compression release... I have to take out comshaft.how thanks james

Briggs and Stratton 17hp surging [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 17hp B/S on a John Deer Saber. Just had new coil and alternator installed. The motor runs good, but it is surging. What is the problem and how do I fix. Also It has a safety feature where you can not mow in reverse. Would like to disable this if possible.

Briggs & Stratton 17hp Lawn Tractor [ 6 Answers ]

Why is gas leaking into air filter at low throttle?

Still trying to work w/ the 17hp briggs & Stratton lawn mower. [ 3 Answers ]

Went through and cleaned the coil up and the carb to just to be safe. Now have spark but it's not much and when tried to start it back fires through the carb. Need more great suggestions!

View more questions Search