Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    western50 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2011, 05:35 PM
    Electric potential
    Batteries always have two terminals, labeled + and - . The + terminal has the higher electric potential. If you connected the terminals to a circuit, which way would positive charges flow in the circuit? What about negative charges?

My thought to this is that the current flow from area with high electric potential to area with low electric potential. I think that the positive charges would not flow and stay still in the battery, but the negative charges would flow from + terminal to ' terminal due to the electric potential difference.

Is this correct? Please correct me if I said something wrong.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 13, 2011, 05:49 AM
    Not quite. Back when electricity was first being investigated the scientists of the day were unaware that in reality electric current consists of - charges only. So basically all the common conventions that were established at that time assumed that electricity flow consisted of + charges, and hence that positive charges flow from the high potential + terminal of a battery to the - terminal. We now know that they got it backwards, that in reality electricity flow consists of negatively charged electrons flowing from the - terminal to the +. But mathematically it doesn't matter whether an electric circuit is modelled as + charges flowing one way or - charges flowing the other. So even today electrical engineers talk about current flow as if it consisted of + charges, because that's the convention that is well established.

Here's a site that illustrates this nicely: Electricity and the Electron
    zanderbaxa Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 11:40 PM
    The direction of electrons flow is from negative(-) to positive(+) outside the battery (EMF source). In the battery the electrons flow (+) to (-). Essentially, (*) is an excess of electrons and (+) is a deficiency of electrons. Another way of looking at it is the hole theory (which is related to semi-conductors). What it says is that when an electron is moved it leaves a hole; so the holes are (+) entities and flow opposite to electronns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I put an electric fireplace will it make my electric bill go up really high? [ 5 Answers ]

So I want to go and buy an electric fireplace for my house but I don't want my electric bill to sky rocket, I mean I would expect it to go up a little, so does anyone know?

I have an all electric home and want to replace electric hot water heater with electr [ 2 Answers ]

We have a total electric home and want to replace the old water heater with an electric tankless whole house hot water heater. Gas is not available where we are. Is it practical?

Electric field and potential [ 1 Answers ]

If an electric field e= i20+j30 N/C exists in space.. if potential at origin is taken to be zero.find the potential at(2m,2m)??

Electric Heat & astronomical electric bills [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved into a new home with a Goodman. We are receiving astronomical electric bills. Our previous home was all electric and we didn't have this problem. We called back the contractor and they didn't find anything wrong. I have since found that the thermostat was set to "Comfort" for the...

View more questions Search