Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gdocgray Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2011, 06:12 PM
    Ge side by side, model gss20iete bb
    My fridge is 3 years old, a few weeks ago, the water dispenser began to continue to flow water after the glass was removed. Now, it seems that the water line for the ice maker doesn't stop flowing water, causing the actual ice maker to freeze up. I've searched front to back and top to bottom for a filter, and apparently it doesn't have one. I'm about ready to take a sledge hammer to it... please help!
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2011, 09:24 AM
    It sounds like you have a sticking water valve. I think the best thing for you to do is to turn off the water and remove the valves and take them apart and clean them or get new ones. Usually, the only thing you need to do is to clean them. It's a common problem with that model. DrTom4444

Sep 2, 2011, 08:36 PM
    Great. Where are these valves?? Thank you!
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2011, 09:57 PM
    I haven't looked at your particular unit, but trace the water line coming in and you will find them. Remove rear cover on unit and you should see the valves and while you have it open you should clean the condenser coils by washing off with a spray of water, keeping water out of fan motor. Unplug first, though. You take the valves apart being careful to put it back like you found it. There is a solenoid coil for each one which you mark and unplug the wires, or just remove the screw and slide each coil off the stem. Inside you will find a pin with a rubber cone tip and a spring at top that seats into a rubber diaphram with holes. These holes get stopped up with scale which keeps it from closing. When re-assembling make sure to tighten each screw equally, and don't over tighten. Soak in white vinegar to clean the parts for an hour or two and wash off. The scale gets everywhere so soak it all. When done carefully tighten all lines, but be very careful to not overtighten as it is very easy to do so. It should work like new when you are finished. You can also install a water filter suited to your particular water problems, but be careful because water filters breed bacteria. Be sure to re-install rear cover to unit when finished or it will no longer cool. Good luck. DrTom4444

Sep 3, 2011, 01:33 PM
    YIKES!! That sounds wayyyyy more technical than I can do! Time to call a handyman! At least I know what to tell him to do! Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore side by side refrigerator model 106.51582200. Ice maker is not working. [ 2 Answers ]

Water dispenser is working but there is no ice in the ice bucket. You can hear it making noise but no ice

I have a Maytag Side by Side Model MSD2456GE and the bottom fills with ice every day [ 2 Answers ]

Maytag Side by Side Model MSD2456GE and the bottom fills with ice every day. What could be the cause? More important what's the fix!

Whirlpool side by side refrigerator side not cold model ed25dqxbn01 [ 1 Answers ]

The refrigerator side is very warm. The inside of the freezer is not iced up on the coils and is still making ice, although it seems a bit warmer than usual.

Whirlpool Side by side refrigerator Model GS5SHAXQOO Serial SR1148136 DOM 03-04 [ 1 Answers ]

The lites in the fridg would intermittantly go on and off, and there was a clicking sound like a relay hooking-up and letting go. Now the lits Do NOT work. Freezer lites work correctly(tells me they are on different circuit) Am I thinking in the right direction that it has a bad relay? Where is it...

Kenmore side by side Fridge icemaker model 106.9557651 [ 1 Answers ]

I have an issue with my ice maker over filling? I replaced solenoid still havinbg problem.

View more questions Search