Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dstalcala Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2011, 03:22 AM
    Employer refused doctors note for my wife's hospitalization
    The company I work for has a benfit in which they will pay me for up to 3 consecutive days when I miss work due to a family member's emergency hospitalization. To get this I have to provide proof of the hospitalization. When I came back to work I gave a dcotors note written on a prescription pad that had the dates she my wife was hospitalized along with the facility name, address phone number and doctor's name. The H.R. Dept would not accept it since they assumed it was from a clinic written by a clinic doctor not a hospital since the facility has "Medical Center" in the name. I pointed out that they can verify by pulling the website on the internet and/or to call the number on the note. I also pointed out that the dcotor who wrote it has the title of "Hospitalist" which is a hospital dcctor. They still refused and said they want the "admission forms". The only thing the hospital gave us was a bill, discharge instructions and brochures. I am giving them a copy of the discharge form but I've blocked out the diagnosis and procedure info since it's of a very personal nature. I feel the doctors note is more than enough considering the exact words on the policy is "Proof of Emergency Hospitalizatin must be provided..." it doesn't specify what is acceptable or unacceptable. Can my employer refuse the doctors note and/or the discharge forms with the personal medical info blocked out? What legitimate reason would they have to request the diagnosis and treament info? Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2011, 03:27 AM
    What state do you live in?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 29, 2011, 04:21 AM
    You have an admission form ( it will be dated for date of admission

You will have a form when you were dismissed, it will have the date of discharge.

Also the bill will show how many days for the room that you are charged for.

You would have plenty of material that shows how long she was in the hospital.

I can agree that a doctors note is not from the hospital and are easily faked.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 29, 2011, 05:55 AM
    They can't just call for info; it won't be provided.
    The doctor's note didn't state that it was an emergency, from what you say. A discharge form with diagnosis and procedure blocked out doesn't indicate emergency either. I'm missing what it is you think proves it is.
    This employee benefit is a perk, not a right, and the employer has the right to know for certain that this is an emergency.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2011, 07:27 PM
    Having blocked out probably pertinent information this may have your employer think it was NOT an emergency. Do you have any proof of the ER being involved in her hospitalization?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If you are out from work on a doctors note, how long before they can fire you? [ 5 Answers ]

I re injured my back on the job, they do not have workers comp. Can they fire me on a doctors release from work? How long before they can fire me if so? I live in Texas

Can I be fired for being out sick, with doctors note? [ 6 Answers ]

I have been out sick for 3 weeks with pneumonia. Doctors note excusing me from 6/5 threw 6/18. Went back to work for 1 day on 6/19. So sick still, lungs in pain. Revisited doctor for the 3rd time and he authorized me to be out again from 6/20 thew 6/24. My very first visit was with a nurse...

Can I be fired for being sick and having a doctors note to prove it? [ 3 Answers ]

I started a job two weeks ago and the3 second week I got strep throat and was told to take the week off with a doctors note to prove it, I called the super and told him what was going on and he said to come back when I was able too, then two days later I heard from a fellow crew member the super...

Can you get fired if you have doctors note for your absence [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I worked for a company for 2 year, within those to years I valentered and worked 24 straight hours many days, weekling getting form 100-115 hours a week in summrt time, finally when winter hits I started getting sick and I don't mean flu and something that nature, I was getting constepeted,...

View more questions Search