Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Whatwhat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2011, 07:57 PM
    Cause of the observed accelerating expansion of the Universe?
    In our solar system as the sun turns matter into energy the orbit of the bodies caught in the suns gravity will become straighter, relatively speaking, and eventually they could leave the solar system in a in a straight line if they break free of the suns decreasing gravity.

Is it possible that that process is the cause of the observed accelerating expansion of the Universe?

As matter is turned into energy the curvature of space-time could flatten out and as energy is turned into matter the curvature of space-time would become more curved.

Has there been any studies to determine the ratio of energy to mass conversion in relation to the mass to energy conversion of the Universe as time goes by?

I ask because if the ratio of mass to energy vs energy to mass conversion is high then an accelerating expansion would result and if there was a high ratio of energy to mass vs mass to energy conversion an accelerating contraction would result while a 1:1 ratio would be static overall, though, internal expansion and contraction of universal bodies could result. Depending on whether the ratio was increasing or decreasing the opposite of the above accelerating expansion/contraction would result with both therefore decelerating.

To me it seems logical that as mass is converted to energy space-time would flatten and as energy is converted to matter the space-time curvature would increase therefore if one type of conversion was increasing relative to the other as time goes by than it would dynamically alter the curvature of space-time making it flatter in the former case and increasing the curvature in the latter case.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Aug 26, 2011, 04:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatwhat View Post
    In our solar system as the sun turns matter into energy the orbit of the bodies caught in the suns gravity will become straighter, relatively speaking, and eventually they could leave the solar system in a in a straight line if they break free of the suns decreasing gravity.

Is it possible that that process is the cause of the observed accelerating expansion of the Universe?

As matter is turned into energy the curvature of space-time could flatten out and as energy is turned into matter the curvature of space-time would become more curved.

Has there been any studies to determine the ratio of energy to mass conversion in relation to the mass to energy conversion of the Universe as time goes by?

I ask because if the ratio of mass to energy vs energy to mass conversion is high then an accelerating expansion would result and if there was a high ratio of energy to mass vs mass to energy conversion an accelerating contraction would result while a 1:1 ratio would be static overall, though, internal expansion and contraction of universal bodies could result. Depending on whether the ratio was increasing or decreasing the opposite of the above accelerating expansion/contraction would result with both therefore decelerating.

To me it seems logical that as mass is converted to energy space-time would flatten and as energy is converted to matter the space-time curvature would increase therefore if one type of conversion was increasing relative to the other as time goes by than it would dynamically alter the curvature of space-time making it flatter in the former case and increasing the curvature in the latter case.

This doesn't seem to be any type of relationship between expansion and contraction of the universe in terms of matter and energy as we normally understand the terms.

My understanding is that the theory of dark energy fits the observations at the moment. In other words, dark energy dominates the universe because the universe appear to be accelerating at an increasing rate.

Empty space could contain its own energy because it could be a property of empty space itself. In other words, an expanding universe doesn't result in an increase or decrease of dark energy. It appears to remain constant or homogeneous regardless of expansion.

Some would argue that dark energy (and dark matter) are not the same as what we normally understand by the terms energy and matter.

Tut
    zanderbaxa Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2011, 09:13 AM
    E=mc^2 does not mean energy and matter are equivalent. It just mean E is proportional to matter. The energy released is the strong and weak and electromagnetic forcers that hold the matter together. The particles and surrounding matter become projectiles. Energy is not converted to matter. Also electomagnetic waves of radiation are released as the energy in the subatomic particle are changed.

Sep 5, 2011, 04:06 AM
    The Sun loses matter; but matter is not converted to energy. The lost matter are particles of the Sun itself.
    Your logic is based upon a false hypothesis.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2011, 09:04 AM
    Hmm, I'm confused about your hypothesis zanderbaxa.

Because the reactions occurring in the Sun are nuclear reactions, and we know that when there are nuclear reactions, there is a mass defect, the difference between the total initial mass of the reactants and the total final mass of the reactants. How would you account for the fact that there is this difference in mass, if that mass was not converted to energy?

Sep 5, 2011, 11:55 PM
    I am not sure. The calculations may indicate so using relativistic equations. I thought Quantum Mechanics and Reletivity were incompatible? Nuclear reactions in the Sun are in the substomic particles realm (Quantum mechanics). Space and Time may not be valid as the dogma hypothsizes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car not accelerating properly [ 24 Answers ]

I have a 1997 Kia Sportage and I am having a problem. My car won't accelerate properly. It'll take up to 1 minute to get to 35 mph. I just replaced the fuel filter, and that didn't seem to be it. The oil change guys said that I really need a new AC belt. Could that be a contributing factor? I...

If we snap sun in the noon black spots are observed.what are they? [ 2 Answers ]

What are the black spots called Can you show with pictures and videos

Acceleration of universe expansion [ 3 Answers ]

Why is there acceleration in universe expansion?

The Expansion Of The Universe [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my name is Nathanael Turner, I am 15 years old so my analogy may not be 'correct' but you get the general picture: My Question: 1)Will the universe carry on expanding for an infinate amount of time? OR 2)Will its mass eventually cause it to impload under its own gravitational...

View more questions Search