Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edwinh19 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2011, 04:34 PM
    Why isn't my dog eating
    Hi I have 3 month male german shepherd who hasn't ate for 2 whole days and now going for his third day.He does drink his water. He has lost a lot of weight, I can notice his ribs are starting show. I took him to the vet and he said he has a lot of white cells wich means there's no bacteria in his stomach. I tried giving him yogurt, cereal and his regular puppy chow food and will not eat. Please I need some recomindations. I'm scared one day he will just die because he's missed so many day without eating.
    Please help
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 16, 2011, 05:05 PM
    FIND ANOTHER VET!
    There are too many reasons for not eating. Could he have swallowed a toy or ball? Can he poop? Has he had all his shots? Is he on heartworm medication? We can't possibly diagnose 'not eating.'

Aug 16, 2011, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    FIND ANOTHER VET!
    There are too many reasons for not eating. Could he have swallowed a toy or ball? Can he poop? Has he had all his shots? Is he on heartworm medication? We can't possibly diagnose 'not eating.'
    A week before this happened I took him to get his second set of shots and de-worming.he pooped twice so far but its not hard, its all diarreah. The vet gave me two different type of pills. One issulfasalazive and the other is flaggyl. He said their both for any inffection he might have. Today I shwod him a little piece of chiken to see if he would at least eat that. And he did so I tried mixing it with his pebbles but only ate the chicken.

Aug 16, 2011, 06:31 PM
    Why isn't my dog eating
    Hi I have a 3 month male germam shephered who would eat normal everyday until 3 days ago he has not touched his food. He hasn't ate anything, I tried yogurt and cereal and wound even touch it. He does drink water though. I took him to a vet and they said he has white cells wich means there's no bacteria in his stomach. Today I showed him a piece of chicken to see if he would at least it that and it worked. So I put just a little piece of chicken mix with his pebbles and just ate the chicken and left the pebbles. Please help my dog has lost wight and his ribs are starting to show
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2011, 08:17 PM

You spent money at the vet and he didn't prescribe anything to your pet? Your pet needs nurishment or it will die! Call up the vet and demand something to help your pet and his bacteria in the stomach problem.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 17, 2011, 06:46 AM

Did your vet mention what the infection was, or if he had a specific type of worms? Giarrda is becoming a lot more common in young pups these days and a little a bit different to treat then the regular worms. Have you recently done a food change? Has anything upset his normal routine? How long have you had your pup for?

It definitley sounds like there is something medical going on, I would call the vet back for some clarification.

Aug 17, 2011, 02:12 PM
    Yes I recently changed his food too adult food like a week before he got like this.I had mu puppy for 1 moth and a half. I decided to try giving him food from the can and he ate it. So slowly I been feeding him can food to see if he can recover. I tried feeding him hus pebbles but didn't want to eat that. Instead he went for the can food.

Aug 17, 2011, 02:20 PM
    3 month german shepherd
    I have 3 month male german shepherd who was always active and running around until day I seen vomit on the grass. That day he looked week and depressed. All he wanted to do was lay down and sleep. He wouldn't want to eat his regular puppy chow food, but was drinking plenty of water. He went 2 days without eating so I took him to the vet. He couldn't find anything wrong with him but gave him 2 shots and gave me medicine to attack anything bothering his stomach. He still wouldn't eat a day later so I tried giving him doog food from the cans and rite away he ate some. Not a lot but enough. Its been 2 days and I'm still giving him food from the can,he eats enough and slowly. I'm hoping he can recover and re gain all the weight he lost. To this day he still choses can food over his pebbles. Does anyone know why
    Dogs Expert

Aug 17, 2011, 03:14 PM
    Of course he will go for the canned. It's like (and I'm stealing this quote from another member ;) ) if you were fed candy all the time and then expected to eat brussel sprouts. If your dog is healthy, they will not starve themselves. Choose a high quality kibble and stick with it. Be consistent and only offer them their kibble. They will learn soon enough that this is the only option they get.

Dogs need to have hard food in their diet as a way to clean their teeth, as well as create some roughage for those nice firm stools they need to have to naturally empty their anal glands. Other wise you might be forced to do this yourself or pay someone to do it. Teeth and anal gland issues can both be quite painful.

Why are you feeding adult food? He needs a puppy chow for large breeds. When you feed them adult food it causes their bones to grow faster then they should and cause stress on ligaments creating weaker joints. If a pup is fed adult food and gets an injury it's not only harder for them to recover from but detrimental to their proper growth. If you are feeding a high protein food, like a holistic or single grain chow, then you should be able to find one for all stages.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 17, 2011, 04:45 PM
    You have posted a thread much earlier today and gotten many replies. Why are you starting a whole new thread about the same subject?
    Dogs Expert

Aug 17, 2011, 04:51 PM
    Threads merged.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 17, 2011, 07:11 PM
    I also think you should touch base with your vet and clarify some things.
    Because much of the original question doesn't make much sense to me.
    He has a lot of white cells--Does this mean he did some blood testing?
    A lot of white cells in blood suggests that there IS bacteria somewhere.
    If not, can we assume he did a fecal check?
    About the bacteria in his stomach, did he say none or did he say overgrowth?

Issulfasalazive? What is this? Is it possibly griseofulvicin?

Griseofulvicin is an anti-fungal, Flagyl is an anti-biotic/anti-fungal.

I am guessing that your vet found loads of bacteria or something like giardia in his stool, to have put him on these meds.

And mind you I am only guessing here, like I said the question is asked in such a manner to make me think that maybe you and your vet were not on the same page.
    As far as the diarrhea goes, as was suggested by Aroura Bell, stop feeding the canned food, mix a little in with the dry, if you must. (again echoeing Bella) a good hi-quality large breed puppy food.
    Canned food tends to shoot right through them, if you get my drift.
    They retain more nutrients from the dry food, it tends to stay with them longer.
    And the bulk should produce firmer stools.

But I think you really should call your vet and get some clarifications for your pups sake, regarding the meds and exactly what he found when he examined your pet.
    Best of luck to you.

Aug 18, 2011, 11:15 AM
    Its been two days now. My dog has been eating food of the can and looks to be getting back his weight and is more active and is even biting again. Now I just need to get him of the can food and start putting him back to his regular hard food.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 11:39 AM
    Have you read any of the above posts for suggestions?

Aug 18, 2011, 12:22 PM
    Its been 2 days and my dog has been eating food of the can. He is a lot more active and doesn't look so depressed. Slowly he's recovering his weight that he lost. Now I'm trying to get him of the can and put him back to regular hard food
    Dogs Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 12:31 PM
    Your threads have been merged, you don't need to update them both.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 03:57 PM
    Maybe the poor guy is using "Go".:rolleyes:

Aug 19, 2011, 12:44 PM
    Sorry I'm new to this site, I must of put to many lol
    But thanks for all your guys advice. My german shepherd is
    Back to rugular hard food and is back to normal
    Thanks
    Dogs Expert

Aug 21, 2011, 09:23 AM
    No problem, glad we were of help! Thanks for coming back to update us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does it mean when your betta isn't eating [ 0 Answers ]

My beta just sits in like one corner all the time and when I cleaned his tank I found all the food from the last 3 weeks on the bottom. I got him a new food and he still isn't eating

My dog isn't eating [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10 yrs old female sheltie, she is 15 lbs, always has been very consistent weight. She has always been a fussy eater, and I only feed her dry dog food for small breeds, the same food. Since Sunday she hasn't been eating, drinking a little water. She seems rather lathegic, not herself at...

My Diabetic Dog isn't eating today [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my dog sammy is 9 years old. Normally this dog eats everything if he is allowed to. His normal routine is to get up in the morning, go out to do his business and comes back to have a treat. The he has his insulin shot and two pieces of cheese. He loves his cheese and practically will jump...

Why isn't my pet eating? [ 4 Answers ]

My dog is believed to be half pitbull and half someything else.he hasn't eaten in about 3-4 weeks.When I feed him he only eats a little bit and spits it back out whens he's done.He's been eating grass every once in a while.he throws up every two days and its different colors eachtime.His ribs are...

My dog isn't eating! [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question, my 4-year-old dog, Brat, isn't eating. She has been diagnosed with epilepsy and I'm afraid that is the problem. She has had this for about 2 years, or has had symptoms of it for that long. She has just started to do this shaking thing and it is starting to scare me :( . Now...

View more questions Search