Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Aug 10, 2011, 08:45 AM
    Likely culprit in two switch light failure
    An overhead light controlled by two switches won't light. The other fixtures/receptacles on this circuit work.

Is there a "most likely" candidate for what is wrong? I think I understand the steps needed to eventually track this down, but it would be nice to start at the point of highest probability.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2011, 09:18 AM
    First I'd check the bulb or fixture. If the light doesn't work, how do you know it's the same circuit? I've seen people spend a lot of time to find out a wire at the fixture is burned off. If not the bulb, pull the switches out, look for loose or corroded wires, particularly if they are back wired-pushed in. Depending on how the switches are wired, you could have hot through the switch or a switch loop so be careful with testing continuity by an ohm meter. Use voltage checks first.

Aug 10, 2011, 09:24 AM
    The bulbs are okay.

I'll start with the fixture.

I wired the circuit 16 years ago so I know which breaker it is on. Don't think I used the push in, but...
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2011, 09:33 AM
    Could be a bad switch, are they 16 yrs old also? 3 ways are a bit more problematic since there are 2 sets of contacts to pit or burn out.

Aug 10, 2011, 09:37 AM
    Yes, everything is 16 years old.

Okay, fixture first, then switches.

This is the first failure I've had in any of the work I've done over a 25+ year period.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2011, 03:31 PM
    I wouldn't call this a failure by any means. 16 years is a long life for a ceiling fixture wiring or a switch. Congratulations! Brian

Aug 11, 2011, 08:49 AM
    I'm a backstabber!
    How embarrassing.

One of the switches had a backed-out wire. Fortunately, there was enough wire in both boxes to fix all the connections.

I guess I did this before back stabbing was known (to me) to be bad.

Thanks for the help.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2011, 09:14 AM
    The connection called back-stabbing, Whiz Wire, Quick Wire, etc, is the absolute worst connection method I have come across.

Good for producing service calls and making money, frustrating when a simple problem causes a circuit to not operate, and need to find that connection.

These loose connections often damage the device it was plugged into, not so much switches since the load is low, usually receptacles get damaged from heat due to the higher loads and usage.

Well done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help changing a two wire light switch to a fan and light switch. [ 3 Answers ]

Wall switch box has two black wires and two white wires(spliced. New switch has black wire, red wire(light),yellow wire(fan), and green wire(ground). I think I need an independent wire for the fan and light. How?

Limit switch open... blower failure. What does that mean? [ 2 Answers ]

The light was blinking 11 times and according to the troubleshooting section on the furnace it says that the furnaces limit switch is open and blower failure. How do I fix this problem?

Combustion Air Switch Failure [ 0 Answers ]

Dianostic LED indicates that the Combustion Air Switch Failed to Close. What is the part number and location for the Combustion Air Switch on Evcon model DGAA

Goodman limit switch failure [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a goodman gm0150-5 furnace and above it is the ac coils I think. Yesterday I noticed that the inside furnace blower was not shutting off. I turned off the Thermostat completely, set the fan to auto and the thing is still running.. blowing air through my house... The outside...

View more questions Search