Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Magen Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 02:03 PM
    1099 Information.
    Hi Im 21, single, and still filing taxes with my mother (as her dependent). I live with her, and my grandmother,and so I guess I am her dependent, even though I pay all my bills (car payment, insurance, and credit cards).
    My questions are....at my job they do not take taxes off, so at the end of the year I get a 1099. Do I have to pay taxes? ( i earned approximately $7900).
    Does my mom get penalized (will she recieve less money) because of my 1099, and because we file jointly? If I do have to pay taxes, is there any way for me to save money? also.... My mother only earned $2000 this year. (I dont know if thats important)

We plan on going to an accountant. but any info is highly appreciated....i tried to give as much info as possible..:)

thank you!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2007, 02:05 PM
    You still have to file your own taxes, but mom can still clkaim you as a dependent. You don't file jointly, that's only for spuses.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 03:55 PM
    HOLD EVERYTHING, Magen!

First, HOW OLD ARE YOU!

Second, you can make the argument that if you make $7,900 and your mother makes only $2,000, that she is YOUR dependent, not vice versa!

If you are 19 years of age or older and you are not a full-time student, she cannot claim you as a dependent.

However, since she makes less than $2,000, you can legally claim her.

It will not make a difference, since, at $7,900, your income is so low that you will owe NO income taxes, but by you claiming Head of Household, you MAY qualify for the Earned Income Credit.

If you need professional help to do this, contact me at [email protected].

Jan 31, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. If you she only had $2K she could not have provide 50% of your support. ATE is right.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Scott!

Did you have any doubt? :-)

Feb 1, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Scott!

Did you have any doubt?? :-)
    ROFL, Do you need a larger hat size? <eg>
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Not really! I need all the humor that is available at this time of year! :-)

BTW, what does ROFL mean?
    Magen Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    HOLD EVERYTHING, Magen!!

First, HOW OLD ARE YOU!

Second, you can make the argument that if you make $7,900 and your mother makes only $2,000, that she is YOUR dependent, not vice versa!

If you are 19 years of age or older and you are not a full-time student, she cannot claim you as a dependent.

However, since she makes less than $2,000, you can legally claim her.

It will not make a difference, since, at $7,900, your income is so low that you will owe NO income taxes, but by you claiming Head of Household, you MAY qualify for the Earned Income Credit.

If you need professional help to do this, contact me at [email protected].
    Im 21, and I am a Full-Time student. My mom earned so little, because she was sick for most of the year, and only worked the last month or so. We live with my grandmother, so luckily we don't have "bills" to worry about, other than our own.

Living with my grandmother I wouldn't be able to get EIC, right? She files her own taxes, nothing to do with us.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 08:56 PM
    You cannot get the EIC because you are too young UNLESS you have a child.

Sorry!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Useful Information [ 38 Answers ]

I'm bored... this might not sound very fluent because I'm pretty much just typing what comes off my head. Feel free to add things and I'll edit it and we can make it into something big that everyone can read, because it seems like everyone has the relative same problems. I used to be there, not...

Information [ 3 Answers ]

How many countries are there in world? How many muslim countries? How many hindu countris? Tell me about every relegion countries

1099-g and 1099-int [ 8 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I am following this forum for last couple of months. It is a very good source of tax information. I am non-resident alien from India. I was on F1 (OPT) from Jan 06, 2005 to Nov 30, 2005. My H1B status started on Dec 01, 2005. I am filing 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843. I have received...

1099-g and 1099-int [ 1 Answers ]

HI ATE, Thank you for reply. I always thought that 1099-INT (Interest income) from non-business activity such as savings/checking account interest, deposit receipt interest or anything that comes under category 1099-INT is exempt for non-residents and should not reflect on 1040NR-EZ. What do...

View more questions Search