Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lee12 Posts: 83, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 05:22 AM
    Breaker for bathroom heater
    Is a GFI breaker required for a 240v electric bathroom kickspace heater? I have run 3-12 romex from the panel to the location (under vanity cabinet). The heater and it's wall thermostat are the only things on the circuit. I believe I need a 2-pole 20A breaker, but I was not sure if GFI was required. It makes sense to me to have one, but it seems like they are not common and quite expensive. Home Depot guy told me it was not required, just wanted to check. If not, I wonder why? I have a Square D HomeLine panel.

Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2011, 05:33 AM
    GFI protection is only needed for plug in devices.This heater is not required by Code to be GFI protected.

You may if you like.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2011, 06:51 AM
    The NEC code for bathrooms require GFCI's on "All 125-volt, single phase, 15 and 20 AMP receptacles". Your heater is not connected to a receptacle and is 240VAC.

Jul 27, 2011, 07:48 AM
    Thanks for the quick responses. I guess I don't need it. Might still opt for it but seems pretty pricey - I've seen 65-almost $200, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=HOM220GFI&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf

Another question - this will be the second kickspace heater in the house. I did not install the first one, but it looks like they used flexible metal conduit from at least where it leaves the wall to where it connects to the heater (all under the cabinet). Is this required? Or can I just connect the romex right to the heater? If I use metal flexible conduit do I need to strip the outer insulation off the romex first? Thanks again
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2011, 08:14 AM
    Romex connected directly to the heater will be fine.

And yes, that is the correct Homeline circuit breaker.

Jul 27, 2011, 08:29 AM
    Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hotwater heater keeps needing breaker on the heater reset? [ 6 Answers ]

Hotwater heater keeps needing breaker on the heater reset? About every 4 or 5 days I have to go hit the red button on the heater and reset it. Its electric. Its only 2 years old and nevr has any problems so far. What gives?? TIA

One dedicated breaker for bathroom/laundry/storage space? [ 2 Answers ]

I have made the decision to add a bathroom in what was a large laundry room. I have redesigned the space to maximize the storage while still adding a shower, toilet, etc. The original space 14x14 is essentially divided into two new rooms. Room 1 - Storage - 2 separate sets of lights, three...

Heater tripping the breaker [ 6 Answers ]

I recently got some info in here from some knowledged fellas about a 240 electrical heater I was hooking up and had great success in getting it hooked up and running. It has ran fine until about 3 days ago it started to throw the breaker. Its rated at 42.2 amps and was told with electrical heaters...

Bathroom GFI outlet trips breaker at breaker panel [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. Our house is approximately 13 years old. Each morning when both the iron and blow dryer is plugged into two separate GFI outlets in the master bathroom, the circuit will trip the 15 amp breaker in the breaker panel. Is it possible to upgrade the breaker to a 20 amp without...

Bathroom or outside Breaker panel installation. [ 2 Answers ]

I asked this before, but can not find the answer.. I am installing a 150 amp service, and originally was putting the breaker box etc in a 1/2 bath.. and was told, that is not proper.. So, I can install same unit, opposite wall, but will be outside, under a totally dry balcony type place, and I...

View more questions Search