Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Topazfairy1993 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2011, 09:16 PM
    Is there a grant or scholarship for survivors of intestinal gastroscisis?
    Hi,
    My name is brandie and I was born with Intestinal Gastriscsis. Its where when your in the womb your Abdominal wall doesn't form right leaving a hole where your interstines and sometimes your liver protrude out. Babies born with this usually suffer many problems growning up. They're almost always born early through C-section. Have a scar from almost chest to just below the abdomon. And there is almost always other complications such as hernias scar tissue, in-fertility, pains in their abdomon and emotional trama from the scar and the fact of not having a belly button. Keep in mind almost no gastro baby has the same case. But they were all born the same way. Many don't live through the first surgery and almost always must a baby go through more than one surgery. Being a survivor I was hoping maybe there would be a grant or scholarship for it. Not only for me but for all of the Gastro babies who fought for their lives well before birth and well into it to. Can anyone gan about letting me know if there is and I just can't find it. And if not I'd like to start one for the brave little souls.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 11:26 PM

I don't see that there is a grant or scholarship for this specific condition.

One of our experts here, J_9, is a L&D nurse, and may have some suggestions for you. My thoughts include contacting a larger or teaching hospital for their ideas on establishing a scholarship, or perhaps check with the reference desk at your local library in order to identify the appropriate association that would be interested in helping you with this project.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 20, 2011, 05:31 AM

Thanks for the heads up WG, but I really don't have anything to add to what you said.

To Topazfairy, I know several people born with your birth defect, and I am sorry you all have had to go through so much. I wish there was more that I could do to help.
    Topazfairy1993 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2011, 06:13 AM
    Comment on J_9's post
    I'm really not trying to sound like someone special trying to get something. It's just. It's a serious disease and very little is known about it. Down to no one knows even one thing for sure that causes it. I just want to help others like me that maybe had it worse than I did. The ones who were in and out of the hospital their whole life from this disease or side effects of it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 20, 2011, 06:20 AM

One of the girls I went to nursing school had a daughter with this, and my husband worked with a woman who recently delivered a baby with Gastro.

I understand completely your want and need to pay it forward.

Have you considered nursing? Maybe L&D or NICU? I wish I could help you with scholarships, but I truly don't know of any.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scholarship Grant [ 1 Answers ]

Im a high School Graduate and an upcoming College Freshmen. Im Looking for a scholarship Grant, I'll be studying at University of Sto. Tomas under travel management.

Grant or scholarship for trade school [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I was wondering if there is any financial assistance (grants or scholarships) that I can find to go to school to be a nail tech. I know that its not all that expensive but it's $7,000 which is about $7,000 more than I have. So I am looking to see if there is any scholarships or...

Scholarship grant, SY 2011-2012 [ 1 Answers ]

Good Morning, I am a graduate of Psychology and I wanted to study further in industrial psychology. May I inquire if there is a scholarship grant available for SY 2011-2012? Thank you!

Middle school Grant or Scholarship [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single mom trying to place my son in a private catholic school in Baltimore Md. Can you recommend anything?

Unmet need scholarship or grant [ 2 Answers ]

I am a college student at Loyola who cannot register for my next semester because I have a 6K deficit in my financial aid. I have tried applying for SallieMae, and PLUS loans, but my credit history is nonexistent and my single mom wasn't accepted as a cosigner because her credit isn't good enough,...

View more questions Search