Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgfarmer Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Toilet making strange noises
    Thought I would run this by you guys and hear your thoughts on what might be causing an issue we have with our toilet. Recently the fill valve on one of my toilets failed so I replaced it with a fludimaster. The toilet flushes fine but noticed that while flushing there is a strange gurgling sound that comes from the overflow pipe in the tank. I have tried to determine what is causing the noise but I am at a loss. I noticed it does not make the noise until flapper has closed up the hole in the tank and If I take the tube out of the overflow pipe it does not make the gurgling sound.

Another problem I am having with this same toilet is that as soon as the water has finished filling up the toilet tank you can hear a slight thump when the fill valve cuts off the water. I thought it might be water hammer, but it only makes the noise once and we do not get the noise when we shut off the water at other parts of the house including the other toilet. Is it possible that I just purchased a faulty fluidmaster fill valve?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Sounds like excessive water pressure -- Try turning the stop down a bit.

Jan 30, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Which stop are you referring to, the main or the one at the toilet? Also, this did not start until I replaced the fill valve.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mgfarmer
    Which stop are you referring to, the main or the one at the toilet? Also, this did not start until I replaced the fill valve.
    The stop behind the water closet.

The old ballcock likely had debris built up in the seat, which impeded the pressure of the flow into the fill tube of the Douglas valve -- Installing the new ballcock has likely increased the amount of flow.

Jan 30, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I lowed the pressure a bit and that helped with the thumping sound I was getting after the toilet has filled, but I am still getting the gurgling noise from the overflow pipe. We have a low flow toilet, so I am wondering if maybe the fluidmaster just has this effect on low flow toilets. I never had this problem with the old fill valve. I don't get the noise until the flapper has completely closed. If I restrict the water coming out of the tube to a trickle then it doesn't make the noise. Any ideas on what my be causing the gurgling at the overflow tube?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 31, 2007, 01:02 PM
    "Any ideas on what my be causing the gurgling at the overflow tube?"

Yes, there's a small tube that runs from the ballcock to the overflow tube. This fills the bowl as the tank fills. The sound you hear is the water running into the overflow tube. It it bothers you then position the small tube so it drains down one side inside the overflow tube instead of down the middle of the tube where you can hear it splatter. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange noises! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi! I have a real mystery on my hands. Let me give you some back ground: My house was built in 1969 and has copper supply and drain lines. When using the upstairs master bathroom (either faucet, toilet, or shower) you hear a very distinct banging or knocking in what I think are the drain...

GE Clothes Dryer is making loud squeking noises [ 1 Answers ]

The dryer makes a loud squeking noises while running. What can I do to fix it? Maybe replace the belts? I don't know. Thanks for the help. Marc

Gas water heater making funny noises [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sprinkler problem in the front yard that has made it necessary to turn off the supply to the house. SInce I did that, the gas water heater has started t make squeaking noises. What, if anything should I do?

Return air fan making rattle noises [ 3 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can help me before my a/c goes out. It is working & cooling just fine right now, with the exception of the rattle & noise the fan is making when it is on. The noise starts about 15-25 seconds after the fan turns on. It was so loud last night that it woke me up. It starts...

Strange Noises! [ 3 Answers ]

I am running windows xp and suddenly it seems to be going very slowly and also there is a strange noise - like it loses power is the only way to explain it - like a vehicle about to stall! I have run AVG anti virus, ad-aware, spybot, ccleaner and have done a defrag - what else can I do to stop...

View more questions Search