Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soochie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2011, 12:59 PM
    A short in series-parallel circuit, a short what happens to voltage drops?
    Classroom lab experiment in Electronics 101
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 01:18 PM

You need to rethink and repharse your question better. You can't have both "series-parallel circuit" Unfortunately this makes little sense as written " what happens to voltage drops"

Jul 12, 2011, 06:24 AM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    I beg to differ. According to Grob's Basic Electronics, 11th edition and my Electronics professor, there are indeed series-parallel circuits. They are combination circuits that have both series and parallel connections. They are used to obtain different voltages and currents from a single supply voltage. I am curious as to what happens to the voltage drops across each resistor when a short occurs in the circuit.

Jul 12, 2011, 06:26 AM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    This is more of an enginering question than a home repair question.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 12, 2011, 12:16 PM

soochie - you're going to have to be more specific - what exactly is the circuit you have in mind, and where is the short? But for discussion purposes consider the attached schematic. If you are shorting across a resistor, then the voiltage drop across other elements in series with that resistor will get bigger, while the voltage drop across other resistors that are in parallel with the shorted resistor goes to 0. For example, if A is shorted then the voiltage across B & C increases to V_0. If B and/or C is shorted then the voltage drop across A goes to V_0 while the drop across B and C goes to 0. Is this what you had in mind?
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80's cartoon short, with two black haired men in lab coats. One tall, and one short. [ 0 Answers ]

What is the name of the 80's cartoon short that had two characters in white lab coats? There was a tall thin man, and a short, more round one. The tall man had a wiry black moustache, very prominent nose and had a nasally voice, and I am unsure of any features for the short man, and I don't believe...

Short in heating circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I'm working on an American Standard furnace model # TA02224C17581605AP, I have replaced the high limit switch and the furnace works for a couple days then it stops heating and the fan just keeps running. The people try to run the house on 90 thinking it will warm up quicker. Can you help ?

Short circuit [ 3 Answers ]

What would cause ground wire to become "hot" !

Can this be a short in the circuit? [ 2 Answers ]

Saturday evening I was watching TV when it started to turn itself on and off. At one point my daughter was in the bathroom getting ready to go out and the TV as well as everything elso on that specific circuit (breaker) went out for about 30 seconds or so but then came back on. Last night it...

Short circuit dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My dryer burn the outlet I could be the dryer or the outlet the problem?

View more questions Search