Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chryste7 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2011, 07:24 PM
    2003 mazda tribute makes a whirring/winding sound when accelerating
    Within the past 2 weeks I have noticed when I accelerate there is a whirring or winding sound coming from under the hood I think? I checked the transmission fluid level and it's slightly above the maximum fill level. The fluid appears to be very clean considering the vehicle has 96k miles. I had to replace the battery at about the same time as this noise began. Also, the airbag warning light has been coming on intermittently. Some days it's on and others it is not. Checked connections under both sides of the front seat and all seems to be OK. Are all these issues related? Can you suggest a quick fix to resolve these problems or do you recommend taking car in to a Mazda Service Center?
    Thanks for reading this problem. Would appreciate a response so much.
    Jim
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2011, 07:39 PM

From afar, my bet is that it has to do with the transmission. ATXs are the weak link in FWD vehicles. Every 30,000 miles, the transmission pan is supposed to be dropped and cleaned, magnet cleaned, filter replaced, and refilled with Mercon V. Try getting this done and see if the problem goes away.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 12, 2011, 05:46 AM

Your problem may be a belt-driven accessory, too.
    Remove the drive (sepentine) belt from the alternator, etc and drive the vehicle again.
    You may or may not hear that whine.
    If not, with the belt off, rotate each pulley that you can to find the one with the failing bearing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 mazda tribute es airbag warning light flashes 4 times [ 3 Answers ]

My 2003 Mazda Tribute ES airbag warning lite recently began flashing 4 times repeatedly and after a series of 3 times remains lit. I checked the wiring connections under the front seat on both the drivers' and passengers' sides for disconnected/loose wires. All seemed to be OK. I then disconnected...

Fog bulb replacement on a 2003 Mazda Tribute ES [ 0 Answers ]

I own a 2003 Mazda Tribute ES 6 cylinder. One of the fog lights has burned out. Visited a Mazda dealer service shop and they quoted me a price for the bulb replacement for about $80 bucks. C'mon, a bit much to replace a bulb! Does anyone know how to replace this type of bulb? Are special tools...

Mazda tribute won't do anything [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a madza tribute v6, and this morning it just stopped in the middle of the road, anyway you can turn on the switch but the fuel pump won't pump up and nothing will happen when you turn the key to start, I checked to see if the starter relay was getting what it was suppose to and it was, I...

2003 mazda tribute spark plugs replacement [ 1 Answers ]

How do you get to the three rear spark plugs on a 2003 mazda tribute underneath air intake cover

View more questions Search