RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2011, 08:41 AM
    Pink Floyd - Syd Barrett RIP
    Syd Barrett died 5 years ago today.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

raisingale Posts: 71, Reputation: 20

Jul 8, 2011, 06:31 AM

Although I mourn the loss of such a neat, crazy genius I must say David Gilmour really brought out the best of Pink Floyd. (Opinion obviously... ) Some of the post Syd songs are so hauntingly beautiful. Amazing & timeless. I just never got that same vibe with Syd's involvement. Of course the post Syd Floyd went in such a drastically different direction it is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Don't get me wrong though, I like some of the Syd stuff but I absolutely love the Gilmour stuff. A great book on Pink Floyd in general is "Comfortably Numb: The Inside Story of Pink Floyd" by Mark Blake.
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2011, 08:15 AM

I agree that Gilmour is awesome... but as for me, I think Roger Waters is what made Pink Floyd so special. They were never the same after Waters left.

Jul 8, 2011, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    I agree that Gilmour is awesome... but as for me, I think Roger Waters is what made Pink Floyd so special. They were never the same after Waters left.
    No argument there. Together they were beyond belief. Sans Roger they're not "officially" Pink Floyd in my opinion. I do like some of Gilmour's solo stuff though. Water's solo stuff isn't as much to my liking. Two musical geniuses that are extraordinarily opinionated about there musical vision make for a pretty rough working relationship I suppose! Shame...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2011, 08:36 AM

Hello Rick:

I HATE that rock and rollers are old and dying. It AIN'T right!

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2011, 08:38 AM

Yep, Gilmour-Waters was to Pink Floyd what Lennon-McCartney was to the Beatles.
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2011, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Rick:

excon
    Well, we've all been dying since we were born, so all we can do is live with it. Pun intended. ;)

Music helps me feel young. That's why I continue to listen to 60s, 70s and 80s music :)

Jul 8, 2011, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Rick:

excon
    Slowly being replaced by the likes of Justin Bieber... God help us all! :mad:
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2011, 12:15 PM

I just listened to that long version of Shine On again.

What an awesome piece of work it is.

Now I'll move on to my favorite "album": The Final Cut.

By the time it's done I should slaving here at the factory.

Wish you were here ;)

Rick.

Jul 8, 2011, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    I just listened to that long version of Shine On again.

What an awesome piece of work it is.

Now I'll move on to my favorite "album": The Final Cut.

By the time it's done I should slaving here at the factory.

Wish you were here ;)

Rick.
    So hard to pick a favorite. Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here are generally on top of my list although Animals is hard to dismiss as well. Speaking of Animals, have you by chance heard the version redone by Les Claypool and the Flying Frog Brigade? It's a worthy remake. The things that guy can do with a bass are mind boggling.
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2011, 12:26 PM

Animals is up near the top of my list, but hands down for my favorite is their "last" one: The Final Cut.

I'll check out the Claypool/Flying Frog Brigade version of Animals. Thanks for the suggestion.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2011, 06:01 PM
    There was a post back some time about weirdness. I did not know where to start.

I got every album I can find, except, Final Cut. Even everything after also, but missing that one.

OCD does strange things to the mind.

Call me wired, but it is a finality that I cannot deal with. So I ignore it. I had gotten the last of the Beatles, and that was an issue for me. They, of course, are #1, just because.

I have been starting to look for it, albeit, passively. I will get there. I have to, I need to know what I am missing.

Syd, Rick, and unfortunately anytime is too soon, the others. When David and Roger is gone, the music will truly have died.

Has anyone seen the Gdansk version of SoYcD? You get to see them do the wine glasses for the prelude.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2011, 02:04 PM

TK, here is my favorite from the Final Cut:

Enjoy.. . and then run out and get the album!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2011, 04:33 AM
    Rick, I did finally get off my butt and got a copy. And listened to it once so far, what a complex album it is. Not sure what my fav is yet.

Aug 8, 2011, 11:23 AM

Speaking of Syd and othe Floyd members, just listened to David Gilmour's song "Smile". What a beautiful piece of work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pink Floyd wins one against the big guys [ 12 Answers ]

I was thrilled to hear this yesterday: EMI reaches a five-year deal with Pink Floyd after lawsuit | City A.M. The only thing that would thrill me more would be for the guys to get together to release some old stuff that they all (including, of course, Roger Waters) agree to release some of the...

I get this message when I try to rip music; Windows media Player cannot rip tracks fr [ 1 Answers ]

I get this message when I try to rip music; Windows media Player cannot rip tracks from the CD correctly because the CD drive settings in the Device Manager do not match the CD drive settings in the Player. How do I fix this problem?

Who is Syd Barret [ 1 Answers ]

Now I know that he WAS in Pink Floyd before he became crazy(ithink) And its driving me crazy cause I'm really confused Just what he did that made him crazy? How long was he in Pink Floyd? What instument did he play in Pink Floyd? When did he die? Basically I would just like to know What...

Another Piece of Pink Floyd Lost [ 1 Answers ]

For those who are fans of Pink Floyd, I just learned that Richard Wright, one of the founding members of Pink Floyd, has passed, on September 15, 2008. His last public appearance is shown here at David Gilmore Live at Gdansk, filmed in Gdansk Poland, 2006. This is the finest version of...

View more questions Search