Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carolin3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 06:49 AM
    What rights has a grandmother got?
    I have recently fallen out with my son and his girlfriend and have now been told that I cannot see my grandson who is only 13 months old. As Frankies paternal grandmother do I have any legal rights to see him?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2011, 06:52 AM

This is State law, not Federal - where are you?

The general answer is "no," but there are exceptions.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    This is State law, not Federal - where are you?

The general answer is "no," but there are exceptions.
    Federal law, and in particular Troxel v. Granville, 530 US 57 (2000), plays a part too.

"...
    Accordingly, so long as a parent adequately cares for his or her children (i. e., is fit), there will normally be no reason for the State to inject itself into the private realm of the family to further question the ability of that parent to make the best decisions concerning the rearing of that parent's children ..."
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2011, 07:33 AM

Very interesting - particularly when compared with the laws of some States.

Of course OP left without providing any info so...
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 07:44 AM

I always find it interesting that in the absence of any abuse, why ANYONE would think they have more rights than the parent to decide who does and does not get to see the child.

I'd be LIVID if my mother (or mother-in-law) decided that she could see my children and went to court to get that after I'd decided (for whatever reason) that the influence she was having on my children was negative.

ESPECIALLY if we had a "falling out" about rules regarding the children because she wouldn't obey the rules that I, as the PARENT, decreed to be best for my children.

It truly bothers me that any state would have a law that would override parental wishes over visits when there is no evidence whatsoever of abuse.
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2011, 08:23 AM

I know no one asked but perhaps OP will come back.

All States which provide for grandparents’ rights require that the those rights/visits are in the best interest of the child. It’s pretty much the same standard that is used when parents get in a dispute over custody. If the visitation poses a danger to the child (emotionally, physically) the request is denied.

Some states are more likely to grant grandparent visitation requests. Connecticut, Hawaii, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland and New York require only that visitation is in the best interest of the child.

Grandparents have NO rights to visitation (if denied by the parent or parents, of course) in: Alabama, Florida, Iowa, Mississippi, Oregon, Rhode Island, Utah.

Grandparents in Minnesota and Pennsylvania have NO rights to visitation UNLESS the grandchildren lived with them.

Grandparents in Texas are allowed visitation only if denying such visitation would significantly affect the child’s emotional health and well being. (I suspect “significantly” is the word used in legal arguments.)

Troxel is interesting - Ohio (Supreme Court) awarded visitation to maternal grandparents following the death of the child’s mother despite denial of visitation by the father - Harrold v Collier (107 Ohio St.3d 44, 2005-Ohio-5334).
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Grandparents have NO rights to visitation (if denied by the parent or parents, of course) in: Alabama, Florida, Iowa, Mississippi, Oregon, Rhode Island, Utah.
    What about this?

"752.01 Action by grandparent for right of visitation; when petition shall be granted.—(1) The court shall, upon petition filed by a grandparent of a minor child, award reasonable rights of visitation to the grandparent with respect to the child when it is in the best interest of the minor child if:
    (a) The marriage of the parents of the child has been dissolved;
    (b) A parent of the child has deserted the child; or
    (c) The minor child was born out of wedlock and not later determined to be a child born within wedlock as provided in s. 742.091.
    (2) In determining the best interest of the minor child, the court shall consider:
    (a) The willingness of the grandparent or grandparents to encourage a close relationship between the child and the parent or parents.
    (b) The length and quality of the prior relationship between the child and the grandparent or grandparents.
    (c) The preference of the child if the child is determined to be of sufficient maturity to express a preference.
    (d) The mental and physical health of the child.
    (e) The mental and physical health of the grandparent or grandparents.
    (f) Such other factors as are necessary in the particular circumstances.
    (3) This act does not provide for grandparental visitation rights for children placed for adoption under chapter 63 except as provided in s. 752.07 with respect to adoption by a stepparent." The Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

It's my personal issue: our son's ex wife here has been denying us any visitation with the grandchildren. Several people involved are ignoring this perhaps, I've been thinking, because of Troxel v. Granville. We've been thinking about going to court about it, but it's a delicate situation.
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2011, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    What about this?.
    Got to love the Internet - you're in Florida. I believe you.

So much for on line research!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are my grandmother rights [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter has a nearkly 9 year old son from aprevious relationship. Th bo7's father left when he was a year old. From that time I have practiocally raised my grandson. My daughter and her son lived with me off and on from the time he was a year old. Three years ago my daughter moved in with...

Grandmother rights [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my girl friend has 2 granddaughters from her son that past away about 5 yrs ago, his wife uses the girls to get what she wants from the family, not to long ago she had moved back to Michigan. She was only back here for about 5 months and then she just packed up and moved back to ashland, Tn....

Grandmother rights [ 1 Answers ]

Is their a such thing as grandmother rights in the state of Texas?

Grandmother rights [ 3 Answers ]

My mother wants to take custody of my daughter for I got married to someone who is now in prison and thinks she is at risk. Can she legally do that?

View more questions Search