Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boarderx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Need assistance wiring ceiling fan/light to wall switch with dimmer
    The celing outlet has one 3-conductor wire running to the wall outlet (black, white, red, ground). I hooked up the celing fan's white to outlet's white, the ground to ground and then ceiling fan's black to black. I also hooked the fan's light wiring (blue) to the outlet black.

FAN OUTLET
    Gnd --> Gnd
    White --> White
    Black --> Black
    Blue --> Black

At the wall there are two 3-conductor wires running into the outlet. I'm trying to install a new switch with a dimmer slider. The light works when the switch is turned on, it even dims. But when the fan is on and the dimmer is lowered, the fan motor slows down as well. I'm thinking that I should have hooked the blue ceiling fan wire to the red ceiling outlet wire. And then that red wire to the switch.

Right now the wire that comes from the ceiling has it's white wire connected to the second white wire. The red is not used. The gnd is hooked to the switch. The black is connected to the switch. The second wire's black is hooked to the switch and the red is not used.

Does anyone know if hooking the blue to the red and the connecting the red to the switch is the right way to go to solve my dimming motor issues?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 05:18 AM
    If you have a spare red at the ceiling and the dimmer, then it should be used to dimmer only the lights, and leave the fan on the black, which will be un-dimmed, and the motor will now work properly.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 06:30 PM
    If the 3 conductor runs straight to the control, you could also install a separate switch for the fan, connected to the black. So you would have

At ceiling:

Black-black
    Red-blue
    White-white
    Ground-green

At control:

Black-fan switch
    Red-light switch
    White-neutral supply
    And the other side of both switches to hot supply.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Ceiling Fan to Wall Switch [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to connect my ceiling fan to a wall switch for operation. House wiring is black, copper, white and red; Fan wiring is black, green, white and blue. I connected black-black, white-white, green-green-copper, blue-red; the wall switch does not appear to power the fan... any...

Wiring a 3 way switch to ceiling fan light [ 1 Answers ]

My pull chain to my ceiling fan light quite working. I got a new 3 way switch from HD. Forgot how the old switch was wired. From the ceiling fan I have a blue and a white wire and the switch has a red, blue and black and the light fixture has black and white. I have 5 white and 5 black on the...

Dimmer switch for a fan and light [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed a dual dimmer switch for a light and fan on the same switch. I can adjust the fan speed only from one side but every time I adjust the light switch, the fan also adjusts according to how I adjust the light. I have a black(hot) wire, a red wire and a bare copper cable coming from...

Dual Dimmer Switch for light and fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am having trouble also installing a dual dimmer switch for my light and fan. I can only get it to work both at the same time. I have a three wire (plus ground) black, white and red going from the switch box to the fan/light. And I have three wires coming from the fan/light unit and three wires...

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

View more questions Search