Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hoolio25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2011, 03:01 PM
    Will I have to pay?
    My neighbour gave me $150 as a gift and now after an unrelated disagreement he wants it back. Will I have to pay him back if he takes me to small claims court?
    clafairey Posts: 153, Reputation: 46

Jun 16, 2011, 03:11 PM

It was a gift. Unless there was a written legal contract signed by both of you, or a verbal contract, i.e. one where you both agreed that you pay them back; there is no legal obligation to pay them back. :) x
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 03:33 PM

Most likely not but we do not have every bit of info. Questions like; can he prove it was even handed to you; can you prove it was a gift and not a loan, etc... He sauid she said it court usually goes nowhere so I think you are OK.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 06:52 PM

This is what happens, esp if this is small claims court,

You will tell your side of the story, he will tell his side. If there is any evidence or witnesses they will be called and that evidence shown.

The judge then decides on who he believes the most.
    If your neighbor says you promised to pay him back, you say it was a gift, often the story you say or info you give makes the judge believe on over the other.

So there is not even a good guess at what a local small claims judge may decide.

A gift does not normally have to be repaid, but proving it was a gift?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay as summer intern reported on 1099-misc.Do I have to pay SocSec as self-employed? [ 1 Answers ]

I received $1000, my only income for 2010, as a summer intern for a non-profit. It reported this in Box#7 on Form 1099-Misc. Do I have to pay Social Security tax on this? Medicare tax? Income Tax? I am a college student claimed as a dependent by my parents.

I was ordered to pay attorney's fees in a small claims case . I cannot pay. Any solu [ 8 Answers ]

I was the Plaintiff in a small claims case. The judge ruled for the defense. There are no monetary awards except I am ordered to pay the Defendants attorney's fees. I cannot pay as I am on social security. What can I do, if anything?

Do I have to pay back maternity leave pay or disability pay? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm going out on disability next week for about three-four weeks. After that, I'll be having a baby and I'll get 6 weeks maternity pay at 50%. Do I have to pay my company back for this if I quit while on leave? My benefits are under my husband.

View more questions Search