Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wrc561 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 15, 2011, 10:46 AM
    Girlfriend wanted a break and needs time to think
    I am 22 and my girlfriend is 20 almost 21. We have been dating for almost three years.

Roughly five days ago, she called me in the morning and informed me that at a party the previous night before, she got extremely drunk and made out with a guy. She called immediately and confessed to it and seemed very very sorry about the entire situation.

While on the phone discussing this, she also talked about not knowing her future. This has come up a few times in the past two months and we have discussed it briefly, but with no detail. The problem with our future is that I commission into the Army in December. Now because of that, I am considering med school and also have requested a post between our home towns(roughly 1 hour to each).

After we talked about the party problem, we moved on to the future, since we were already on the topic of a possible end to the relationship (I ended up forgiving her, it was a guy she/me would never see again). During this talk, she stated that she did not know if I was the one or if she wanted to continue a relationship with me because of that and the Army. She said that after two and a half years she should know, to which I responded it may take longer (had friends that dated for 7 years before being engaged).

She has been very busy working two jobs this summer and said she discovered that it is possible to live without me but that she doesn't know if she wants to. We have told each other that we love each other very much and previously in the relationship she had stated that she could take staying at home for 6-12 months at a time with the kids (once we had them) and wait on me.

So we decided to take a break. She had originally wanted to go until August, but changed her mind to Monday for us to talk again. We are both in excellent standing with each other's families, her major is nursing right now and already has job offers. On the phone we discussed that sometimes she cannot see us married, but at other times she can see us together and raising a family.

I just do not know if this break she really needed is to truly think about our future, or if it is cushioning the blow for when she finally ends it. Please help! Advice on what to do, what you think will happen, etc would be great.

I already know not to contact her and she will call Monday, which is hard to do. We already had our summer planned out but this derailed it temporarily(I hope).
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2011, 11:06 AM

The statistics say it's ''cushioning the blow''-sorry but people who hit bumps in their relationships work on solving the problems together-not by''taking breaks''.

She's young-her feelings are changing and her life's choices seem to be changing as well.

Leave her to it-get busy with your own life and make plans for your future as if she's not in it.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 01:08 PM
    I would say that after 3 years of being together. If you want to make this work, then work it out TOGETHER. Be fair to each other. Sit down and talk it out.

If you just want to avoid the problems by taking a break and not allowing an dialogue between the two of you, then you're only going to slowly drift apart.

It's time for the two of you to face some difficult questions.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 04:29 PM

You are at the crossroads of a decision with how to proceed forward, and knowing you will be leaving soon has brought a lot of fear and uncertainty into the picture. The question is can you both deal with a long distance relationship, and keep a bond going, or is it time to explore other options, and strategies while being apart.

I don't think she wants the distance thing personally, and feel she would rather be free to explore her freedom while you are gone. I can understand that, and so should you since you have plans for your own future that are clear. She probably needs a lot of time to figure out what her future will be, with, or without you.

You both are growing and have some very adult decisions to make. Together, or apart.
    wrc561 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 15, 2011, 06:16 PM
    Thanks a lot all of y'all. I have a better idea of what I need to do now as well and how to work through this with her and not have it end in shambles. Thanks again to everyone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend of 3 years left me cause she wanted alone time? [ 13 Answers ]

Hey I just recently broke up with my girl friend of 3 years. It allstarted about 3 weeks ago when we had our last katty argument that never should have happened I love the girll so sooo much an would do anything for her but she said she wanted alone time... I had been living in australia for a...

My girlfriend wanted a break. How long should I wait before I contact her? [ 25 Answers ]

I just found this site and I appreciate any advice I can get. I've been with my girlfriend for 3 1/2 years. We met through my cousin, her best friend, when she was 19 and I was 23 and I fell so hard I told her to move in with me and so we've been living together for pretty much the whole time....

Girlfriend needs a break/time to think it through [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, my girlfriend and I have been together for 6 months, but were arguing rather frequently for maybe the latter 3 months - recently she went for a 3-week long trip overseas and we argued again while she was there.. and when she came back (yesterday) she told me that she needed a break from the...

My girlfriend wanted a break? [ 3 Answers ]

I was with my girlfriend for 3 and a half years. We started with the games cause she was so hard to get. I played it very cool for a while and didn't answer my phone all the time. I worked in the evening which meant I only see her late when I would go stay at her house. This was all going well but...

View more questions Search