Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iceberg1002 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2011, 09:44 AM
    Would I have to pay expenses if the mother of my child is on public assistance
    Would I have to pay expenses in child support if the mother of my child is on public assistance
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2011, 09:49 AM

Usually yes. If a mother applies for public assistance, they are required to name the father and the support agency will require that a child support order be sought.

Jun 12, 2011, 10:12 AM
    So I will basically be paying for things that are free which doesn't make sense because my daughter and the mother of my child is on medicare
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2011, 11:00 AM

Maybe I misunderstood your question. But othing is free. If there are services being paid by public tax dollars because the custodial parent can't afford to pay for them, but the NCP is not paying their fair share, then they will be required to pay their fair share.

Are you currently under a support order and paying the ordered amount?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2011, 11:08 AM

You are paying the state back for money it pays her that it may not have to, if you were not a dead beat and would be paying support like you should

Jun 12, 2011, 12:19 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    No I'm not on child support yet
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 12, 2011, 12:23 PM

Then be ready to be ordered to pay retroactive child support!
    vanillaface Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2011, 09:37 PM

Well maybe if you had paid child support they wouldn't have had to go on public assitance.

They will go after you for payment, so basically what they're doing is giving HER money and then going after you for support to pay it back to THEM. If you are ordered an amount more than her grant amount, she will receive the difference. If you are ordered an amount less than her public assitance grant, it will all go to them.
    Skill7D Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Aug 22, 2011, 08:12 PM
    It makes sense because it's your child. Public assistance doesn't appear out of thin air. It comes from the taxes of people who go to work everyday. Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay to raise your kid.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 09:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg1002 View Post
    so i will basically be paying for things that are free which doesnt make sense because my daughter and the mother of my child is on medicare
    It's not free! I pay for it out of my taxes. Where do you think the money comes from?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    ... Where do you think the money comes from?
    Government printing presses, essentially.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 09:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Government printing presses, essentially.
    Yeah, so that would get us out of the national debt then right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorced, father has custody of child and mother found she has to pay child support [ 3 Answers ]

I just received my divorce papers and my ex wife found out she has to pay child support and now she wants custody. We signed a non contest divorce where we both agreed, she has been distant from my daughter for sometime, she has only seen our daughter 12 times n almost 2 years.

I am a mother, if I give up rights to my child, do I still have to pay child support [ 2 Answers ]

I have seen this question before but it is never for my state or it's always a father asking? I would like to give up my rights over my son, to his biological father. I live in Florida. And have had physical custody of my child for the last 6 years. His biological father owes me about 26,000 in...

Will insurance retro pay for birth expenses when I didn't know I had a child? [ 3 Answers ]

I got news that I'm a father and my child was 19 months when I first saw her. Well now the state gave me a bill for $2400 dollars for birth expenses. Will the insurance company I had at the time of birth pay towards that, or is there some time of cluase that tells me I'm screwed.

Mother does not keep child man still pay child support? [ 10 Answers ]

My husband pays his ex girlfriend child support for a child that she had from their two month relationship. SHe does not keep the child at all. In fact her first cild her husband's parents keep him, the second one her grandmother keeps her, the third one she gave up for adoption, this one her...

Paying child support but unable to pay for in home expenses. [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been paying child support for a daughter that he made on a one night stand. Granted he wants to be a father NO MATTER WHAT, he seems to be paying too much to provide for our daughter and our expenses as a family. Is there any way that he can get these lowered so that we can be a...

View more questions Search