Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kglacy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Converting single phone jack in to two
    I have CAT5 lines in place of standard phone lines in my house. In one room I have two active lines going to one jack I bought a duplex connector but both jacks were one line. I have rewired the jack several times, for some reason I can only get one line to work at a time. What am I doing wrong?

More info, the jack has 6 wires; yellow/blue, red/green, white/black. One active line is orange/orangewhite (primary), the other is blue/bluewhite (secondary). Whichever line is connected to the red/green works.
    TOOL_5150 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 01:44 AM
    You need to punch down the primary line on the blue connectors and the secondary line on the orange connectors on the jack. Then you need to plug in a L1/L2/L1+L2 splitter from a store such as radio shack or home depot. THen you will have your 2 separate lines.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 26, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Basically, Orange pair go to red/green on one jack.
    Blue pair go to red/green pair of second jack
    Don't use Blue and white on Jacks.
    Single Line phones and faxes use the center pair(Red and Green),
    Yelow/Black is line 2.

This following can be ignored. You may be able to connect Red and green from one jack to yellow/black of second jack, and yellow/black to red/green of second jack.
    Now if you plug into one jack you have line 1, other jack line 2
    This is the good part. If you have 2 line Phone or device.
    Plug into one jack and have line 1 and line 2. Single line device will access line 1 only
    Plug into other jack and get line 2 and line 1. Single line device will access line 2 only

White/Orange to Green
    Orange/White to Red

White/Blue to Green
    Blue/White to Red

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to rewire a phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I need some help. This house had at one time two different phone lines. We now have only one phone line working. I need to find out how to rewire one of the jacks that was hooked up to the other number. The phone company is going to charge us $120 to come out and do this, but they tell me that...

Rewiring a phone jack [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone know how to rewire a phone jack? It's in my den but it's a different line/number than the one I use in the rest of the house. I want to put my computer/DSL/fax/answering machine in that room without running an extension phone cord across the floor and down the hallway. The phone...

Rewiring of phone jack [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am trying to rewire my phone jack so that it is just one line. I am trying to put the white/blue, blue/white lines back on the jack, but they have this plastic tab in the end of them. Can I just snip the wire? Thanks! Robyn

Phone jack wiring [ 7 Answers ]

How do I convert jack that was used for a second line back to the primary line?

Re wire phone jack [ 1 Answers ]

We are getting another phone line in kids room how do you rewire the jack

View more questions Search