Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dstructive Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2011, 03:22 AM
    When is it time to give up hope?
    My girlfriend of 3 yrs and mother of my 19 month old son woke up one day and decided that she didn't want to be in a relationship. She said she'd been in a relationship with one guy or another almost constantly (2 failed marriages then myself) since she was 15 and needed to "find herself". Less than 2 weeks after we split up she was in a relationship with the new guy. Now (only 3mths after our split) she's living with him and 2mths pregnant with his kid. We have to have near daily communication because of our son and each time we talk she chooses to talk about her new guy. Thing is she is constantly comparing him to me and always talking about how he lets her down. The relationship she admits is our relationship with simple role reversal. She has a son from a previous relationship and when she goes to see her son she wants me and our son to join her.
    She is 23 and I am 33. In the beginning our age was no problem but at some point it became an issue with her and now its something she talks about in relation to her new guy... "he acts this way and that because hes 23", "hes my age and thats just how guys my age act", etc.
    Thing is I love this girl with all my heart and want to know if in a situation like this is it possible that we could get back together? I have been playing it cool, playing the friend role to the degree I am capable of seeing that my heart breaks knowing that she is with this loser. (he has no job, was living with his mom, going out partying all the time)
    My family says give up and move on but I am not ready to "move on". I am so broken and confused I can't stomach the idea of being with anyone else. Not to mention it wouldn't be fair to who ever I moved on with since my heart still belongs to my ex. When is it time to give up hope that this new relationship is a rebound?
    tamonze Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2011, 09:00 AM
    I completley sympathise with your position as I was with my partner for 11 years and have a son together and he thinks that we should be OK to be just friends and talk about other women where as I can't even begin to think about anyone else! I wish I could give you all the right answers and tell you what the right thing is to do everyone talks of this no contact but how does that work when kids are involved? It's horrible when the other person seems to be fine with the whole situation when were just acting on a daily basis. If you find the answer then let me know :)
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2011, 10:33 AM

You have to be the best possible parent to your son,that is

Your one priority now.

It seems your ex is a mess-so,someone has to be an adult,

And make sure your child doesn't suffer.

Don't be her doormat-have as little contact as possible with her and o n l y when it concerns your child.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Jun 1, 2011, 11:05 AM

As amicon noted, she is treating you like a doormat. You are, in turn, acting like a doormat.

It no doubt sounds like a difficult situation, friend. However, does the fact she gave you a big line of B.S. when she left bother you? Does the fact she fed you that line and then entered into a relationship with another guy soon after bother you? That she was impregnated by him? That she chose an obviously ill-suited partner with which to leave you and your child for? That she talks about him all the time?

If the answer is yes, than good. All designed for you to realize how you are allowing yourself to be walked over.

You are better than this, man!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 1, 2011, 08:09 PM

Time to give up hope for her NOW, and be a good dad because your child needs a good adult in her life with her for a mother.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I give up all hope? [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend broke up with me the day before I went to college... about a month ago. And I can't stop thinking about all the things I've done to mess up.. and all the things I should have changed, or done differently, because they were pretty low things to do to someone that loves you. I'm pretty...

Relation ending with husband give me a hope [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, my name is Susan, I am 28 Indian married having 1 year old son. I am feeling very lonely and feeling that this life is just hell for me... I really don’t know how to handle this situation always when ever I am in trouble I always try to make a wise decision... I had a living relation with...

I'm afraid my cat's not going to make it. Give me hope. Or wisdom [ 8 Answers ]

So my family called me today to let me know my cat has been acting weird all day.. that she was dragging her hind legs, and acting drunk.. I asked my mom if she needed to go to the vet and she told me NO.. She's just acting weird.. I get home tonight, and my cat is laying on the ground,...

I hope someone can give me advise? [ 3 Answers ]

My Name is rachelle ** last name edited out*** I live in spokane Washington. I am a single mother that is on ssi and my three and a half year old is on tanf. My ex boyfriend who had told me and we thought he is the father to my daughter has been out of her life from the time she was born in 2004...

At what point did you give up hope? [ 19 Answers ]

In another post, I read that getting to the point where you can give up hoping that your ex will return is crucial to begin to get over them. I realize that being unable to do this very thing is making the healing process/ getting over my ex so hard for me. I know that I am struggling with giving...

View more questions Search