Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JellyBean123 Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2011, 02:37 AM
    Can you take pet rats to the vet to have theire nails s clipped?
    Hi I have two 6 month old pet rats and their claws are very sharp I am scared to chop them myself so can I take them to a vets?

Hope for a reply
    =0)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 31, 2011, 02:47 AM
    Sure, but a big box store like Petco will do it for less, or a pet salon.

May 31, 2011, 03:24 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Do you have to pay to get them clipped?

May 31, 2011, 03:25 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Oh and do you know if you can give pet rats cows milk?
    =0)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 31, 2011, 03:43 PM

Do you have to pay to get them clipped?
    If you take them to the vet or a pet store, then yes, it will cost you. Why are you afraid to clip them yourself? There are great clippers out there, some with a light attached so that you can see the qwik and not cut too short. It's very easy to do it yourself, once you learn how.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2011, 04:57 PM

You can also try putting some rough items in their cage. Bricks, rocks, sandpaper glued to wooden blocks etc to help wear the nails down.

I cut mine with human nail clippers for a while but found that after I put a few rocks in their cage for them to climb over I didn't need to trim them any more.

A small amount of cows milk is OK (less than a teaspoon) as a treat but it isn't necessary.
    They LOVE dried banana chips, dry dog food, and sunflower seeds.

I make mine pea strings for a bit of fun too.
    Tie a button onto a piece of string and then thread peas onto it.
    Hang it in the cage (the button stops them falling off) and watch the rats have fun reaching up and trying to get the peas. They find some creative ways to get to them.
    Another game with peas is "bobbing for peas" take a dish an inch or so deep and put a small handful of peas in it, some will float, some will sink... they will bob their heads under to get the peas.

Jun 3, 2011, 06:40 AM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    I'm scared to cut them wrong and they`ll start bleeding =-L
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 3, 2011, 03:07 PM

I'm scared to cut them wrong and they`ll start bleeding =-L
    I totally understand that fear. I cut my dogs nails, and until I bought the clipper with the led light (so I could see the qwik), I used to cut too short many times. We had many whimpers and a lot of blood.

But, since I got the clippers with the led light, I haven't cut any of the nails too short, and I cut all 3 of my dogs, and all 4 of my bunnies, and the bird as well. Not one has bled since I got the led light clippers.

It's a small investment and it will save you a lot of money in the long run. :)
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2011, 10:52 AM

I cut my ferrets nail to short and he screamed and bled a lot, but he got over it pretty quick. I bought the clippers alty suggested (She suggested them to me for something.. my ferret or my guinea pig not sure which), and they work wonders!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My pet rats finger is falling off [ 2 Answers ]

About a month ago I bought my pet rat 2 new rat friends... They didn't get along so they're in separate cages... I guess my sister pushed them together while feeding them and they got to his finger. Its half off... I realize that I probably have to get to the vet so don't call me a bad owner for...

Pet rats [ 8 Answers ]

I have a few questions. I have 2 female rats. I keep them in separate cages. The oldest one is about 10 - 11 months and the other one is maybe 4 months. I would like to be able to have them around each other if that can be possible. But I'm afraid of them fighting. Ive had them by each other a...

View more questions Search