Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BillNi Posts: 25, Reputation: -7

May 27, 2011, 07:38 AM
    I want to depoist 4K cash into my bank account. Will I be treated like a suspect?
    I barely have any money in my bank account and want to deposit the cash I saved from working through odd jobs (on craigslist, kijiji) during the last several years. If I go deposit this cash into my bank account, will I be treated like a criminal? If they ask where the money came from, and I say odd jobs- will they treat me like a suspect of some criminal investigation?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BillNi View Post
    If they ask where the money came from,
    Hello B:

They will NOT ask. They may NOTE your deposit for the IRS, but that's all.

excon

May 27, 2011, 07:52 AM
    IRS? So what about them? If I say money came from odd jobs, will they treat me like a suspect?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 07:53 AM

No one has ever asked me where the money I've deposted into my account came from. "Trust fund" babies make deposits all the time and don't get questioned.

It's when you plunk a large sum of cash down on a purchase that you have to fill out Affidavits and answer questions.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 07:54 AM
    IRS? So what about them? If I say money came from odd jobs, will they treat me like a suspect?

As long as you paid taxes on the money you won't have a problem.

If you didn't pay taxes you could have a problem.

May 27, 2011, 08:09 AM
    OK, obviously from working through odd jobs I didn't pay taxes got got paid by cash. Will my money get taken away? Will I be looking at a criminal charge for not paying taxes?
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 08:16 AM

If IRS presses the issue, yes, earning money and not claiming it on your tax return is fraud.

Will IRS care enough to check against your tax returns? Only IRS knows.

I don't know that it's "obvious" that people who do odd jobs and/or get paid in cash don't claim the income on their tax returns. No one on AMHD can advise you how to break the law.

Will your money be taken away? No. Will you be taxed on it, charged a penalty and interest and possibly charged with fraud? Yes, if IRS "catches" you.

When you buy a house you must show proof where the downpayment came from.

Buy a car for cash and you have to fill out an Affidavit concerning the source of the cash.

In both cases is the info turned over to IRS? Yes. If your proof is verifiable and correct that's the end of it.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 08:21 AM
    OK, obviously from working through odd jobs I didn't pay taxes got got paid by cash. Will my money get taken away? Will I be looking at a criminal charge for not paying taxes?
    Hello B:

Relax! Yes, the world changed after 9/11, but if you DIDN'T steal the money, AIN'T nobody going to take it away, and AIN'T nobody going to charge you with anything.

You are NOT required to even FILE a tax return unless you made more than somewhere around $9,000. I don't know the exact number, but I doubt whether you've broken ANY laws.

Go to the bank. Deposit what you earned. Keep your head high and your mouth shut.

excon
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 08:26 AM

I'm a former Fed (as you know). Anyway, anyone who is self-employed and earned more than $400.00 in a calendar year is required to file with IRS.

Does IRS investigate, care or even read mail from banks? I have no idea. I'm just telling you the law.

I didn't see the people who don't file, get paid in cash, go underground. I only saw the ones who got caught.

I have no idea what the odds are.

In NY I know that large bank deposits (I have no idea how the State defines "large") are checked against Public Assistance records. You're on Public Assistance and deposit a chunk of money, they're at your door.

Of course, that's not what we're talking about here.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 09:14 AM

Hello Judy:

I'm a former tax payer (as you know). Here's the information I found. Go to Chart A on page 7:

You MUST file a return, IF:

You are single and under 65, and made AT LEAST $9,350. If you're older, you had to make AT LEAST $10,750. If you're married, the limits are even higher, of course.

There are OTHER categories of taxpayers listed, but ALL them require these kinds of incomes BEFORE you are required to file a tax return.

excon

PS> (edited) Then over there on Chart C, I found this little tidbit. You are required to file IF:

3. You had net earnings from self-employment of at least $400.

Whaddya know about that?

PPS> (edited) Given that the OP calls his income "odd jobs", I'd feel confident advising him that his income was wages rather than self employment income. Besides, once the OP completes a Schedule C, he won't have ANY self employment income. Nope, I don't think he broke any laws at all.

PPPS> (edited) Never mind... He's a Canuck..

May 27, 2011, 10:29 AM
    Sorry, I forgot to mention I live in Ontario, Canada. I don't know if these IRS laws work the same way over here. From what I researched, I shouldn't really be having any issues with IRS unless I deposit over 10K. But I don't want to be charged with fraud or anything like that for earning honest money through odd jobs on craigslist over the course of my teenage years. I'm only 20 years old now. I've saved all my money in a home safe but, now I'm debating whether it's just safer here or in the bank. I don't want to get into any hassle.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 10:35 AM
    I think you're ok: Large Cash Transaction and Electronic Funds Transfer Reporting Requirements: Two Or More Transactions In A 24-Hour Period
    We are less 'watched' here in Canada so it's less of an issue.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 04:14 PM

11 posts later "we" find out "we're" talking about Canada. You would think I would eventually learn...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2011, 07:21 PM

Who cares how you are treated ? If some jerk clerk treats you badly, you will know to latter perhaps change banks.

They may of course check each bill ( larger) to be sure they are real not fake,
    khaning Posts: 22, Reputation: 0
    -

May 27, 2011, 09:30 PM
    Okay I am curious why you are so paranoid? However in real life 4000 is not a lot of money, so you are good.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 02:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by khaning View Post
    Okay I am curious why you are so paranoid? However in real life 4000 is not a lot of money, so you are good.
    To a 20 year old it would be, to most people it would b a nice chunk of money.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 29, 2011, 07:20 AM
    I am in 'real life' and could do a lot with $4000 right now. When is that 'not a lot of money'.

Tick
    Uber Member

May 29, 2011, 10:21 AM

Sorry, but $4,000 is not pocket change where I live.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is bank account a real type of account or personal account [ 2 Answers ]

Types of account are three types that is real account,nominal account and personal account.I need to know, is bank account a real account or personal nature. Please also need to know about type of accountprovision for bad debt and provision for taxation

How would the following be treated in a bank reconciliation? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me if these answers are correct? I put my answers on the left of each question. Thanks :) Indicate how the following items would be treated in a bank reconciliation. You may choose from the following answers: (a) Deducted from the balance per accounting records. (b) Added to...

Bank account levy.included cash deposits from unemployment and social security [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday, an attorney in New Jersey placed a levy on my checking account. My income consists of Social Security and Unemployment. The amount levied, was all inclusive of my last direct deposit social security check of 8/26/09. I explained this to the attorney's office and sent faxes of my...

How To Cash Check if Bank Account Frozen [ 1 Answers ]

I am a senior citizen in financial difficulties due to several judgments against me. One of my bank accounts is frozen. I have another one that I only keep a small amount in to pay for my AOL services online which has not been detected as yet. My car was just totaled and the insurance company...

View more questions Search