Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Patchm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2011, 09:58 AM
    Had lease, now month to month - what rights do I have about eviction?
    I had a year lease 4 years ago, then it went to month to month, now the landlord placed a note in the mailbox that he wants me to leave. Is that legal or does he have to go to court for a eviction notice
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 24, 2011, 10:18 AM

He has to give you a written notice to quit normally 30 days in advance of when he wants you out. What exactly this notice has to say depends on the law in your jurisdiction. It is doubtful that leaving it in the mailbox is sufficient (and may be technically a violation of postal law). How is he going to prove that you got it?

If you are not out at the expiration of the 30 days, then he can go to court to evict you. And of course, as with any court action, you would be served with process (official notice of the court action including a "summons"). Service of process is normally by a peace officer or court-appointed process server.
    khaning Posts: 22, Reputation: 0
    -

May 27, 2011, 08:53 PM
    He can giveyou a 30 day notice just as you can give him one. If you are willing to sign a lease then tell him. You can see if he will let you stay. There is no benefit for your LL on a month to month, because your LL has no abilioty to read your mind. Go talk to them.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 04:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by khaning View Post
    He can giveyou a 30 day notice just as you can give him one. If you are willing to sign a lease then tell him. You can see if he will let you stay. There is no benefit for your LL on a month to month, because your LL has no abilioty to read your mind. Go talk to them.

Hard to say without knowing the State but I disagree - I find that a note placed in a mailbox is insufficient notice. Many States require that the notice be mailed.

The OP has been month to month for 4 years. I am assuming there was some benefit to that or else OP would have been evicted some time ago.

I don't understand why there is no benefit to a month to month rental on the part of the landlord. I owned property. There were some month to month tenants because I wanted the flexibility of raising the rent and not being tied into a lease.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2011, 05:56 AM

Your rights don't change because you are a month to month tenant. The terms of the original lease remain in effect except for term and rental. So the landlord has to give you the amount of notice as required by the lease and local law. The delivery of such notice has to conform to the lease and local law.

An eviction is a legal process. But the first step in the process is to serve a termination notice. If you ignore that notice, then the LL goes to court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Month to month lease Do I still have to pay the full month if I move out in 15 days [ 1 Answers ]

I am on month to month lease now. I want to tell them I want to move on the 15 of October. Am I required to pay a full month rent if I don't be there?

Landlord Requiring 2 month Vacating Notice on 3 month (month to month) lease [ 21 Answers ]

I am in a situation and am in need of some advice. I am currently renting an apartment in Minneapolis. I am doing an internship which only requires me to live here for 3 Months. I signed a lease with a complex on a month to month basis. I planned to Move out at the end of April, so on march 1 I...

Upstate NY Month to Month lease termination- Prorated rent after 1st of next month? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, As a month to month renter in Rochester, NY (outside the city) with no lease, I gave notice on June 3 that I would be moving out on July 1. My landlord proceeded to tell me that I would be responsible for the ENTIRE month of July's rent, even though my 30 day notice would take me to the...

Month-to-month lease eviction [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question regarding real estate laws in Pennsylvania. If a tenant is on a month-to-month lease, and receives a 30 days notice to vacate the apartment, can the tenant stay if they have not found another place to live? I would sincerely appreciate any information. Thanks,

Is it common to have a 2 month notice to vacate on a month to month lease? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my landlord require me to give a 2 months notice to vacate even though my lease is month to month? It was in the lease which was originally a 1 year lease which after the year, change to month to month. I can see giving 60 days with the year lease, but not on a month to month.

View more questions Search