Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Larkemett Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

May 18, 2011, 12:45 AM
    Concerned my tattoo may be infected!
    I got a tattoo (not my first) on the 13th, it was on my wrist and bled slightly at first.

I had been regularly applying Prep H to it to keep it moist but found it made the skin tight and uncomfortable. About 3/4 days later I was advised by a heavily tattooed friend to apply some E45 Lotion (the plain one) to soften it and I did. The next day it had scabbed with YELLOW scabs (the ink is black and blue) and I am concerned this may be a sign of infection.

The tattoo is not painful, hot, swollen, bleeding/oozing and it does not smell. But all my previous tattoo scabbed the colour of the ink e.g. black. Yellow scabs make me think of infection... advice?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 18, 2011, 07:18 AM

Preparation H actually slows down healing - I realize it's been recommended for use with tattoos for a very long time but do a little research. It traps bacteria, unlike an antibiotic cream.

I'm not sure the color (yellow) isn't a result of the color of PrepH.

I am reading antibiotic cream of some sort is the answer. What does the tattoo artist say?
    Larkemett Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

May 19, 2011, 01:04 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    I saw my doctor rather than the tattooist, I have just been encouraged to continue what I have been doing since suspecting an infection - washing regularly with mild anti bacterial soap and then covering with savlon cream.

I tend to take the word of my tattooist when it comes to aftercare and have been recommended by several (I have a number of tattoos) to use Prep H, it concerns me to hear you've read that it can be detrimental to the healing process and I will rethink using it. It has never caused me trouble before.

I am fairly sure the infection is very superficial and will clear up quickly, though it will likely have spoilt the tattoo and I will need it touched up, I am fairly certain the yellow scab is infection and it has lifted out the ink.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 19, 2011, 06:14 AM

I would research the PrepH question in depth. My late husband was a Doctor of Pharmacy, I attended his workshops with him, this was actually covered in an "over the counter" extended learning seminar.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2011, 02:36 PM

I have always been told by my artist and others, as well as through research online, to initially wash the tattoo with anti-bacterial soap when I get home and basically make sure I get all the plasma off my arm so that it doesn't scab so bad.

Then for a couple days to use some Vitamin A & D cream to help protect the skin as it heals. Then after that to use unscented lotion. I've always used Lubriderm (which does burn a little). All of my tattoos have turned out well.

As long as you take care of it, most tattoos should turn out fine. They're pretty resilient.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does the belly piercing necessarily need to look infected to be infected? [ 9 Answers ]

Does it? Mine doesn't hurt and people say it doesn't look infected at all. But I'm scared help

Am I infected? [ 1 Answers ]

A few days ago I accidentally (yes, it actually was accidental) downloaded a strange file. I almost immediately found the file on my desktop and deleted it. Then I ran a full sweep with Spysweeper, and it turned up the normal stuff. The next day, my dad wanted to change a security password of...

Want to get tattoo but concerned about health risks [ 2 Answers ]

I've had this idea for a tattoo for a long time, and just as I was about to get it done, I was telling a friend and he talked me out of it. He said that there was a risk of infection, that you could get blood poisoning, or even hepatitis and other diseases... what should I do?

Is it infected? [ 7 Answers ]

I got my belly button pierced about a week ago. It is red around the top bead. It is not bleeding and there isn't any puss coming out. Is it starting to get infected or is it just healing?

View more questions Search