Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Hot Water Runs out quickly
    I have a large hot water heater (approx 40 gallons) in my rented one bedroom apartment. The hot water runs out after a 7 minute shower. Once it does, it does not come back for some time. This happens even if no hot water has been used for the previous 20+ hours. After my complaint my landlord replaced the hot water heater - so it is now brand new. The problem still persists. My neighbor 2 doors down has the same problem (her hot water heater was also replaced in the last 5 months). Besides using a shower head with less water flow - what can be causing this? It baffles me!
    Thank you.
    cutter4735 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Your hot water heater has 2 heating elements inside, apparently one is burnt out, call your local hot water tank repair man
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Two things would cause your problem. 1) the lower element's burned out **or** 2) the dip tube has disengaged from the cold water inlet allowing cold water to temper the hot water at the top of the tank. Regards, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2007, 11:33 AM
    I can't think heating elements would be burning out like that. The only logical explanation I would have is the nitwit installing them is removing the water inlet tube for some reason. Do you think the landlord is using a licensed plumber, or just some handyman or himself? Water heaters come with a plastic tube in the inlet that directs incoming cold water down to the bottom allowing it to heat while the hot water on top flows to your shower. They may go bad, but not for a long time. Was the heater like that form the beginning?

I would be a little reluctant to remove the cold water line in a rental to check. Maybe this question belongs in the rental law forum. Somebody there should know more about making landlords live up to their responsibilities than I do.

Oh, replacing heating elements is an easy DIY project.
    annac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Thank you very much. The landlord uses a plumber to install the hot water heaters. Though they have used him for a long time, I wasn't very impressed. He first diagnosed the problem as a broken thermosat regulator or something to that effect and replaced the part which did no good. The problem has always existed but has gotten worse (maybe it has only gotten worse since the plumber removed the pink ring in the shower head that restricts water pressure).

Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I can't think heating elements would be burning out like that. The only logical explanation I would have is the the nitwit installing them is removing the water inlet tube for some reason. Do you think the landlord is using a licensed plumber, or just some handyman or himself? Water heaters come with a plastic tube in the inlet that directs incoming cold water down to the bottom allowing it to heat while the hot water on top flows to your shower. They may go bad, but not for a long time. Was the heater like that form the beginning?

I would be a little reluctant to remove the cold water line in a rental to check. Maybe this question belongs in the rental law forum. Somebody there should know more about making landlords live up to their responsibilities than I do.

Oh, replacing heating elements is an easy DIY project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Hot Water Heater runs out of water [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Gas Hot Water Heater in my house 50 gallon I believe. It runs out of water after about 5 minutes and the water does not seem as hot as it should be (It's turned to 3 on a max scale of 4 on the heater). The pilot light is on. Can you tell me what might cause the hot water to...

Dodge Spirit runs hot [ 11 Answers ]

My dodge spirit I bought earlier this year had no problems till a couple months ago.It runs hot very fast when I turn the air on,almost to the h.it goes halfway if not running air,I've changed the theromastat twice,radiator cap,and sensors,and relay,just recently flushed the radiator three weeks...

Hot water runs out after 5-10 minutes [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Need some assistance: I have a 30 gallon gas hot water heater about 10 yrs old with copper plumbing and after taking the shower for 5-10 minutes, there is no more hot water. What are some of the possible causes & fix? Thank you, Matt

Dodge spirit runs hot... [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 93 Dodge Spirit, mint condition, 90,000miles. It runs hot. It has a new head gasket, new radiator, etc. What can I do to get it to run cooler? Thanks!

View more questions Search