Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jshklein Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2011, 04:51 PM
    Apartment managers verbal instructions didn't match the lease
    Apartment manager was asked if a letter of intention to vacate the apartment was due 60 days before the intended date. He said no, just submit it any time. 30 days before moving a letter is submitted, now he says two months rent are due per the lease.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 3, 2011, 05:05 PM

What does the lease say? The lease trumps any unverified verbal commitment.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 3, 2011, 05:05 PM

A written contract (and a lease is a contract) can only be amended by ANOTHER written contract. A written contract cannot legally be amended/changed/modified by an oral agreement.

The written lease stands.

You can always go to Small Claims Court but this is the law and I think you would be wasting your time.
    khaning Posts: 22, Reputation: 0
    -

May 27, 2011, 08:50 PM
    Was your lease up? If it was not his intention was that the notice would be for the last day of your lease? There is not enough information here to answer...
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 04:14 AM

The lease is binding. A written contract cannot be changed by a verbal agreement.
    -

May 28, 2011, 10:53 AM
    I agree with ScottGem. It is very important what your lease says. If you like you home and you are willing to sign a contract for an offered term it would be difficult for them to kick you out of the home. Go talk to them and get a copy of the lease. Are there other factors? Did you get any other notices? Always secure the promises you get in writing. It may not matter that you have a letter from a property associate per the lease but most management companies try to have good customer service. The rent on your home may be set very low compared to all other homes. Did you get a renewal notice?
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by khaning View Post
    I agree with ScottGem. It is very important what your lease says. If you like you home and you are willing to sign a contract for an offered term it would be difficult for them to kick you out of the home. Go talk to them and get a copy of the lease. Are there other factors? Did you get any other notices? Always secure the promises you get in writing. It may not matter that you have a letter from a property associate per the lease but most management companies try to have good customer service. The rent on your home may be set very low compared to all other homes. Did you get a renewal notice?

The OP wants to leave - that's why he/she is questioning the amount of notice he/she must give. I'm reading lease says 60 days, OP gave 30, now is being asked to pay rent for the 60 (2 months).

How are you interpreting this?
    -

May 29, 2011, 06:58 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    I was giving it as an option if they can not come up with the money JUDYKAY. Is that the only sentence you read?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2011, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by khaning View Post
    I was giving it as an option if they can not come up with the money JUDYKAY. Is that the only sentence you read?
    Lets not be argumentative here. The OP clearly stated they were terminating their tenancy. The question was simply whether the landlord can renege on a verbal statement about the amount of notice.

So any discussion or options involved in the OP staying are not really pertinent to the question.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2011, 10:20 AM

Khaning - I was giving it as an option if they can not come up with the money JUDYKAY. Is that the only sentence you read?

I have brought this to your attention before in what I thought was a nice way. Please answer the question as it is asked. It is not policy to answer "what if" questions that bounce off what was asked.

So, no, that's not the only sentence that I read.

Your rudeness is unwarranted. I very politely asked you what I missed because that does happen. You did not respond in kind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the apartment lease be signed and buyer rescind lease? [ 1 Answers ]

Person signed lease to apartment and also put in security deposit and roommate decided to back out of lease. Does the 3-day recission apply in the state of Texas?

Verbal agreement in subletting a room in an apartment [ 3 Answers ]

2 months ago I was in hurry to find a place to stay in.I found that someone is subletting his room in a 2-bedroom apartment at least for 1 month and maximum for 4 months. I told the tenant to fill out the sublet form but he didn't and he just trusted on verbal agreement.I told him I would stay for...

Sub-lease breaks verbal lease [ 5 Answers ]

This is the situation. My daughter and two roommates entered into a written lease for a two bedroom apartment in Santa Barbara July 15th 2008-June 13, 2009. They moved in and advertised for a fourth roommate to complete the lease. The fourth roommate was found and moved in August 08. She paid a...

Out of state apartment company will not stand behind their local managers [ 7 Answers ]

This is a multiple part problem and I will do my best to make it clear. I signed a 13 month lease on an apartment in Dallas at $869 mo. The refundable deposit was $765, $100 admin fee (non-refundable) with 30 day move-out notice. At that time the manager stated that after six months I could move...

Verbal Lease after written lease agreement - Florida [ 6 Answers ]

I had a signed lease with my renter from March 2006 to October 2006. In September he failed to pay rent due to him trying to get his son from Social Services. We verbally agreed to extend the lease to a month to month basis and him adding an additional $50.00 per month to make up for Septembers...

View more questions Search