Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Landload Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2011, 03:03 PM
    Security deposit increase
    When you increase rent control rent like 3% per month. How much or what percent can you increase the security deposit?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 2, 2011, 03:11 PM

Usually in accordance with the rent increase (I.E. many are geared to what a months rent equals). BUT... a lot depends on what city and state this is. What you are and aren't allowed to do can vary greatly.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 2, 2011, 04:31 PM

Where?
    khaning Posts: 22, Reputation: 0
    -

May 27, 2011, 08:58 PM
    I do not understand. Do you mean for new residents or current ones? Current residents do not get a deposit increase, so that is out. Security deposit is your decision. If you want to raise it raise it, but if you want to rent apartments you better be competitive with the market.
    khaning Posts: 22, Reputation: 0
    -

May 27, 2011, 09:00 PM
    Comment on khaning's post
    All my years in property management I have never seen a deposit at more than 2X the rent.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 11:41 AM

I'm sure it varies by area. I owned property. Two times rent with no dog; three times rent with a dog PLUS a no-return deposit to shampoo the rugs when apartment was vacated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2011, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by khaning View Post
    Current residents do not get a deposit increase, so that is out.
    Actually that is not the case. It is legal to ask for an increase in the security deposit when a new lease with an increased rental is signed, at least in some areas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Landloed has not provided a certificate of deposit for security deposit [ 3 Answers ]

I have requested several times,verbally, a receipt for an escrow account for my 2100 dollar security deposit. The landlord has not complied and I feel he has spent the money. I called him on several occasions which finally he picked up the phone. I told him to figure on picking up the rent...

Increase in security deposit [ 4 Answers ]

The state law in new jersey about increases in security deposits says a landlord can only raise your deposit once a year no more then 10% on current deposit. i've lived in this mobile home park for 43 yrs. This is my second mobile home here. My current deposit is only $90 he wants to raise it...

Increase in Security Deposit [ 12 Answers ]

When we renewed our lease our landlord increased our rent by $100.00. He then told us he was increasing our security by $300.00 ($100.00 for first, $100.00 for last and $100.00 for security). That does not sound right to us. When you get an increase in rent is it typical that the landlord also...

Security deposit increase [ 1 Answers ]

Can a landlord raise your secuity deposit. I live in a mobile home and only rent the ground . I've lived in this park 42 years ( this is my second mobile home since I moved here ) my deposit then was $90.00, the new landlord wants $187.44 more. Do I have to pay him? Two tentants never paid a...

Security deposit increase? [ 5 Answers ]

I've been renting for approximately 2 years and was informed last month that a $300 increase in my security deposit is required with my next month's rent. Is this legal? The propoerty was sold about six months ago and I'm on a month-to-month lease which the only option given. I know they can...

View more questions Search