Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Needinghelp0039 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2011, 08:13 AM
    Can I file charges or have my son's father's parental rights revoked?
    {Moderators Note: Moved to Family Law}

I live in Clay City ky, My son's dad has been gone now for over four years. We have never established custody however; he is not on the birth certificate. He has not tried to see my little boy, and we have absolutely no idea where he is at. Is it possible for me to file child abandonment charges on his dad in powell county and what all do I have to do to file them. I am scared that he will see the baby and try one day to take him without my knowledge. The only thing that I know about him is that he is definently not in the state of ky anymore. Any advice given would be greatly appreciated. Thank you sincerely
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2011, 04:39 PM
    First, this is a leal question and it needed to be asked in the family law forum. If you had posted there, you would have seen the sticky rearding terminating parental rights. Long story short, you cannot file charges against him. In some states, you may use abandonment as a means to an end, such as making a determination of custody (which you should do if you have not already done so), but you cannot "file charges" of abandonment because a parent fails to support a child. You also cannot have the father's parental rights terminated because you want them to be. Courts very rarely terminate parental rights unless it is to facilitate an adoption and even then, it is diffiult to do involuntarily. If you are truly afraid of kidnapping, terminating his rights won't stop him. However, he has all the sme rights that you do unless you petition the court for sol custody.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 9, 2011, 05:23 PM

As noted, abandonment is grounds for obtaining something else. But courts are very reluctant to terminate parental rights and are not likely to do so in your situation. Since he is not exercising his rights, there is little to gain by terminating them.

If you remarry and what the step father to adopt then you might get a TPR.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2011, 06:34 PM

Several issues

First he can not just take the child without your permission at this point if he is not on the birth certificate and does not have a custody agreement.

So unless he files and takes you to court, he has no current ability, and his only right at this point is the right to take you to court.

If you want to take him to court and use the fact he has had no contact, you can ask for full custody and no visits, but he can always counter file asking for various rights

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I have my daughter's biological father's rights revoked? [ 8 Answers ]

How can I have my daughter's biological father's rights revoked? He has nothing to do with her. He has seen her maybe 3 times in the last 6 months, and he is expected to go back to jail. He does and sells drugs. I am simply terrified for him to be around her.

How to get a parental rights revoked? [ 1 Answers ]

My 5 year olds sons dad is a drug addict and when ever I let him see my son he does not care for the child and also he has never supported the child or does not make a real effort to be in him life. The same man caused me to be involved in a court case involving the state of Florida for over 4 yrs...

How Do I get my son's biological father's parental rights relinquished [ 6 Answers ]

I live in Washington State and am seeking information on ending the parental rights of my son's biological Father. My son is 14 years old and has had no contact with his B.F. for 10 years. His Father is not required nor can be required to pay child support due to a type of Social security he is...

Having my son's biological fathers rights revoked [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 3 1/2 year old son his biological father has been in prison for almost 3 of those years, he is a known drug addict, and convicted sex offender (I did not know that at the time of conception) he has seen my son all of 4 times and has never tried to change his life for the better, my husband...

How do I go about getting the Parental Rights of my ex revoked? [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to get my ex's rights to my son revoked. He can't stay out of jail, can't stop using drugs. I already have sole legal and physical custody, he was only awarded 1 supervised visitation a month and he has opted not to show for any but one of them in 3 years. He doesn't pay child support...

View more questions Search