Ask
    Beccie Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2011, 11:48 AM
    How to clean headlights
    How do you clean the covers of your headlights
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2011, 11:53 AM

DO you mean polish headlights that have yellowed or clouded over from age?

Apr 26, 2011, 11:59 AM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    It is the clouded from being 11 years old. I wasn't signed in when I wrote a second ago so I hope you don't get this twice.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2011, 12:02 PM

There are kits that will polish the clouded outer surface away and make it look like new for less than $20 if you do it yourself.

Most autoparts stores carry them. Its way cheaper than replacing the headlights.

What happens is those are plastic... and pollution in the air and UV rays damages the outer surface over time.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Apr 26, 2011, 08:26 PM
    Read this post on headlight lens restoration. It talks about the difference between polishing kits and restoration kits

Headlight Restoration

Apr 26, 2011, 08:27 PM
    Read this post on restoring a headlight lens. It explains the difference between a polishing kit and a restoration kit. Some polishing kits actually cost more than a restoration kit and the procedure doesn't last nearly as long

Headlight Restoration

Apr 27, 2011, 07:01 AM
    Comment on RickMN's post
    I was all over the internet yesterday and I heard that I can use toothpaste and baking soda. This was more of the type of answer I was looking for. I don't want to have to buff. Maybe you may have heard of this? Beccie

Apr 27, 2011, 07:28 AM

What you've got with a clouded headlight lens is a deterioration of the clear coat on the outside of the lens. Polishing the lens with either toothpaste or plastic polish is a temporary solution. In my opinion, it's a complete waste of time because you'll just have to do it again every six months. The only way to get a long term fix is to get the old clear coat off, polish the lens, and then recoat it with new clear coat.

The entire process takes about an hour and costs less than $20. You can skate through this on toothpaste, but you won't be happy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much should I charge to clean new construction home 1200 sq ft./ final clean [ 7 Answers ]

I'm bidding to clean a new construction home 1200 sq ft for final clean-up. How much do I charge? I did a walk through the house and there is tape on the edges of carpet as well as clear plastic cover which seals the top of carpet to be removed, labels on windows, appliances, bathtubs, and...

Two clean record checks in recently and today it's not clean? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay I'm a nursing student and I graduate in 10 days and need a clean record check! Which in the past 3 years I have had two come back clean. Today I received a record check and it didn't come back clean strange! I have called everyone I can think to call and no help!! I was convicted with theft...

I have a 2003 Buick Century, when I dim my headlights,headlights turn off. [ 1 Answers ]

If I don't hit the turn signal lever/ head light dimmer hard enough the headlights turn all the way off, until I hit the dimmer switch again. It only takes a second, but a second is a long time at 75mph. How do you change the dimmer switch?

Difference between self clean and standard clean ovens [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm getting a new stove and when I read descriptions I see some that says self cleaning,standard cleaning or manual clean. Can you tell me what the difference is? Thank you!

Clean Cloudy Headlights [ 5 Answers ]

How do you clean cloudy or foggy headlights?

View more questions Search