Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamaof4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2011, 03:54 PM
    The state of Ohio won't tell me anything. Want to keep my step children.
    We live in Ohio, I am the step mom, the father left us and moved to DE. He was given custody in Florida when he divorced the biological mother. No word from her in 9 years.

I want to keep them, they want to stay with me. I HAVE NO MONEY. Went to court for custody and was told I filed in the wrong court, (filed in Juvinile for custody) was told to file in probate. Supposed to be divorced from the father on Wednesday, this is Monday.

Anyone know what I should do next?? Please help us.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2011, 04:52 PM

You have no legal right to file for custody. You can file for temp guardianship ( maybe) but either the chldrens father, or the mother, or even one of their family all have more rights to claim the children than you do as just a step parent, who has never adopted the kids.

Without an attorney you have almost no chance of this at all.
    mamaof4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2011, 04:57 PM
    Thank you Fr_Chuck. I still have to keep trying but at least you are honest with me. Very much appreciated!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2011, 05:24 PM

Just to be clear. You married their father who has now left you and you are going through a divorce. You have no idea where the bio mother is.

Is the father asking for custody as part of the divorce? How old are the children. Are there grandparents in the picture?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 25, 2011, 07:40 PM

Illinois: IL Statutes, Chapter 755, section 5/11a-3.1

This "guardianship" designation allows the caregiver to access services on behalf of the child that without such a designation might prove impossible.

Legal custody is a similar status to guardianship, but is usually bestowed by a different court that has different procedures. Guardianship is usually granted by a probate court, whereas a family court grants legal custody.
    According to 755-5/11a-3.1 you have to file for guardianship.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 26, 2011, 03:04 AM

Umm, she's in Ohio not Illinois!

I've found that some states include Family Court under the Probate sections. Juvenile court sounds more like criminal court for underage offenders.

But shouldn't custody be part of the Divorce proceedings? When you go to court on Wednesday will that be the first hearing in the Divorce? Custody should be part of that process.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 26, 2011, 07:55 AM

My mistake!
    jaded0104 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2011, 06:56 PM
    Ohio has 2 systems for this... The first is what they have told you. If you were not married the other option would have been JV court. A lot of stickiness is coming your way make sure you have a lawyer on your side. Besure to tell them when he left and every detail since. Good luck Ohio has ways of throughing up road blocks so keep on your toes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relocatiing children 2 hours away, in Ohio. Anyone know the laws [ 10 Answers ]

My fiancé and I want to move back to my home town. It's a small town, less violence, better people etc. Where we are living now, is a lot of violence, robbery, shootings, murders every day! The children father (my fiance) have custody of the children, the move is only 76 miles away, its...

Can I take my step children out of state? [ 3 Answers ]

... can I take my step-children out of state for spring break... their father has to work so he won't be attending the vacation until the last 2 days... he has given me consent, I have a power of attorney and their mother knows the vacation will be out of state..?

Do step-children have legal rights to step-fathers estate with no will [ 25 Answers ]

My father married a woman with 4 grown children and they were married for 29 years. She died in Jan of 2008 with no will. He passed away in October of 2008. He also left no will. There are 2 children of lineal descent from my dad, me and his son. Now these 'children' have taken us to court saying...

Can step mother get child support issued from biological mother of step children? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband doesn't want to go after his ex for child support. Can I go after her as the step parent who has been caring for the children for almost five years? The biological mother hasn't seen or talked to the children for about four years now.

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

View more questions Search