Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Xan-Kriegor Posts: 158, Reputation: -2

Apr 24, 2011, 12:40 PM
    Wi-fi won't connect.
    My new phone (a san fransisco (Android)) won't find the IP address of my rooter. What's wrong?
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2011, 07:40 PM
    Double check that you have the correct passphrase. Make sure that you do not have MAC address filtering enabled, or if you do, that you have added your phone's MAC address to the allow list. Ensure that you are within range of your wireless. Double check to make sure that DHCP is enabled. Restart your phone (power it off and remove the battery).

If all of that checks out, try assigning an IP address manually by entering in the IP address in the wireless settings.

Apr 26, 2011, 09:36 AM
    Comment on FadedMaster's post
    Done and the password is right, the rooter accepts it, but it just won't connect even from a distance of a couple of inches, I have windows
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2011, 05:17 PM
    What happens when you manually assign an IP address? What is the DHCP range you have it set to?
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2011, 05:50 PM
    FYI: It's a router, not a rooter.

Apr 27, 2011, 04:50 AM
    My telephone finds the IP address, but never wants to connect to the router.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2011, 11:53 AM
    Please give more details as to what you mean. Because if it is getting an IP address, then it has to be connected to the router, that's where it gets the IP address from. Does the IP address match the DHCP range setup in your router?

Or are you just unable to access the Internet from your phone once connected to the router?

Apr 29, 2011, 10:48 AM
    Unable to go on the internet
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2011, 10:59 AM
    I have an Android phone. This is what I do:
    Settings > Wirelesss & Networks > Wi-fi settings, make sure Wi-fi is turned on, then it should see any networks near you, it doesn't care about the IP, it wants the security key. If your wireless network is set up as DHCP it will automatically assign an IP.

Apr 29, 2011, 11:07 AM
    Comment on NeedKarma's post
    Where can you see the DHCP
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2011, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xan-Kriegor View Post
    where can you see the DHCP
    In the router settings.

Apr 29, 2011, 11:20 AM
    Comment on NeedKarma's post
    Can't find it
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2011, 11:26 AM
    You'll have to figure that out before you want anything to connect to your wireless network.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 29, 2011, 11:48 AM

Is it your wireless network you're trying to connect to?

Do you have access to login to the router's interface?

If so, you will see a tab or option to view/edit DHCP to either enable or disable.

If it's enabled your router will auto assign an IP to your phone. If it is disabled you will have to statically assign one.. (not sure if this is possible on an Android, I have a BB)

Let us know if you can access the routers web interface!
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2011, 07:38 PM
    Also tell us what kind of router it is that you have. That will allow us to give more specific directions. For example, if I recall correctly, the DHCP settings for Linksys routers is actually under the section for "Basic" setup. On Netgear routers it is under the LAN area.

May 2, 2011, 03:27 AM
    Speedtouch
    Uber Member

May 2, 2011, 03:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xan-Kriegor View Post
    speedtouch
    What model? Some of those are uniquely telco modems with no router function.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Desktop will not connect to LAN on one particular outlet, but other PCs will connect [ 1 Answers ]

I am very puzzled and without a clue as why one of my PCs will fail ("A network cable is unplugged") to connect to my LAN using a particular outlet, but if I connect another PC, as a notebook, on the same outlet there are no LAN connection failures. Yet if I connect the desktop to another outlet,...

Can't connect [ 1 Answers ]

I have a D Link router and I haven't had my laptop for some time and I just bought a new one and my problem is I didn't write down my pass key to get connected , what can I do

It won't connect? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone, Iam running window xp for some reason almost every games I try to run doesn't connect and I tried to download and install the games again it still says the same not connect to the internet, however my internet works just fine I can download and surf internet. And also I try just to...

Can't connect [ 1 Answers ]

Desktop connects by USB cable via wireless cable modem. Laptop connects wirelessly to internet via the same wireless cable modem. I've tried networking them using Windows network expert, but neither one will ping the other and I can's see either from the other computer. I am using the same...

Connect 2 PC [ 1 Answers ]

I've 2 PC, both running WindowsXP. Two different Administrators.Using crossover UTP cable how can I connect them in a LAN. No other PC are there.Step by step .

View more questions Search