Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    _Mistletoe_ Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2011, 12:19 PM
    What can i do so my cat doesn't jump on me at night?
    I adopted a new kitten this Christmas, and she is about a year and a half old now. I love her to death! One day, while I was sleeping she bit the electric blanket cord. It's amazing how she survived. After a week and a half at the vet, some stitches in her face, a lot of soft food, and more medicine, 3 months later she is almost healed. (the inside of her mouth is still bleeding sometimes but we try to give her soft food to help) But ever since she got electrocuted, she hasn't been the same. She used to snuggle up with me and be sweet but now at random times such as 3 o clock and 4 oclock in the morning, she will jump on my feet and scratch me! It hurts very bad and she gave me cat scratch fever once. I don't know why she does this but I am very sick of it. I will not give her away or make her move outside because she was born at the animal shelter and has never been outside and runs away every time she sees it. I don't know what to do but I have tests and other things to do, I need my sleep. Plus cat scratch fever doesn't feel to hot.
    Please help, I don't know what to do.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2011, 12:32 PM

Wow! What a story! What a devoted pet lover!

I had a puppy that chewed an extension cord and got a shock. He never figured out why he got the shock. All he knew is that was standing near the TV at the time. Every time anyone turned the TV on he RAN from the room. Wonder if this is somehow the same thing? Sounds a little bizarre but I wonder.

I know cats pounce and scratch. Maybe her behavior has something to with growing up.

Could you get her nails clipped so she doesn't scratch you?

I'm waiting to see what the experts have to say. Interesting post.

Apr 24, 2011, 12:44 PM

Haha no kidding.

I don't know, she isn't a baby anymore. She is growing up, but still, I try to be patient with her and teach her, but seriously at 3 in the morning I don't want to be patient.

I don't think it's fair for her to get her nails clipped, I mean it's like cutting off her fingers.

Got her a scratching post. Hasn't helped, but she stopped clawing the furniture.
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mistletoe_ View Post
    Haha no kidding.

I don't know, she isn't a baby anymore. She is growing up, but still, i try to be patient with her and teach her, but seriously at 3 in the morning i don't want to be patient.

I don't think it's fair for her to get her nails clipped, i mean it's like cutting off her fingers.

Got her a scratching post. Hasn't helped, but she stopped clawing the furniture.

I'm not saying to declaw her - my mother has a cat and its nails are clipped regularly, the same as my dogs' nails are clipped. There are also glue on tips you can put on cat nails that keep them from scratching.

(I'll pay for the nails if I can watch you try to glue them on! :D)

I know - hard to patient when you're being clawed in the middle of the night. I know some cats play rough. I don't know how to discourage that behavior. Dogs - I know.

Apr 24, 2011, 01:38 PM

What should I do then?
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2011, 01:56 PM

I think we both have to wait for a cat expert to come along. I can't even find any suggestions on the Internet. There is a suggestion that you squirt the cat with water when he "attacks" you but I don't think it's reasonable to expect you to sleep with a water bottle in your hand.
    clafairey Posts: 153, Reputation: 46

Apr 24, 2011, 02:07 PM

The vet suggested something called feliway for one of our cats, read this:

Home - Feliway

It worked for our cat, but it's rather costly.

Apr 24, 2011, 02:16 PM

Also have you had her neutered? This can calm cats down a lot.

Apr 24, 2011, 07:02 PM

Yes she is neutered
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2011, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by clafairey View Post
    The vet suggested something called feliway for one of our cats, read this:

Home - Feliway

It worked for our cat, but it's rather costly.

I'm out of greenies - really like this answer. I had no idea so it's good that you came along.

Apr 25, 2011, 10:46 AM

Thank You :)

Apr 25, 2011, 05:11 PM

I looked at the feliway website.

I don't think it would help her. She has random spazzes but I don't think she is stressed.

May 17, 2011, 12:26 PM

Sooooo can I not do anything?
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

May 18, 2011, 01:30 AM
    Feliway is a product that releases feline pheromones into the air. Pheromones are airborne "communicators" between animals, from people to insects, that work on the nervous system to communicate subtle messages about others of the species that have recently passed through the area. Cats rubbing their faces on others, owners, or objects are simply, unconsciously, leaving their facial pheromones for other cats to 'find', and respond to. Sexual attraction is partly the response to pheromones. Some perfumes are touted to have some pheromone content to help make the wearer 'more appealing', supposedly to men. Maybe it takes a little alcohol to make it work better?

BUT... you said your kitten was on the receiving end of a full charge of electricity and was injured sufficiently to spend a lengthy time in recovery. Many animals have not survived such an experience, while others suffer as yours has, with mouth burns and slowly healing wounds, and some probably permanent 'adjustment' in their personalities. This effect can vary quite widely. Consider the effect of a little stray electricity, such as a static spark, on many electronic devices... it can ruin them. The brain is, oversimply, a huge sensitive electronic device, dealing quite normally in electric currents in the millivolt range. House current is about 10,000 times that much. Some of her circuits shorted out and probably won't be back. Whether this is the entire reason for her personality change, or simply getting a little older, hard to say, but I suspect it is at least partly responsible.

Many cat owners find their cat waking them in the middle of the night. Cats are nocturnal, and it is time to eat, play, or who knows after they have had a good rest. If you get up when the cat wakes you, for whatever reason, that is a lesson learned by the cat and you can expect to have it 'practiced' on you often.

Trimming the nails is recommended, and can be done easily with a simple fingernail clipper of the pocket style. No need to remove much of the nail, just the sharp tip. It won't hurt, but may take a time or two for the cat to realize this. It may need done weekly, or even sooner. Cats shed their nails quite often, usually in thin layers when 'scratching', hence the term "sharpening their nails". It won't stop attacks, but should lessen the injuries. Possibly this is a form of play to the cat. Cats have one form of play, and it's called "Hunting", and it sounds like you have been elected to be the 'prey' It may be necessary to close the cat off from your bedroom until she shifts her nighttime attention to something else.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

May 18, 2011, 06:42 PM

Is it possible to keep her out of your room at night, at least until your tests are over. After that, you can work on alternative training methods.

Keeping her claws trimmed isn't that hard. Any store with a pet department will probably sell nail clippers. Make sure to get ones for cats and/or small dogs. They need to be small enough for her little claws. When you extend her claws you should be able to see the nerve/vein in the base. Make sure NOT to cut that. Just taking the tip of the nail off will do the job.

The nail tips that were suggested are a good idea, but cats can chew them off. It wouldn't do you much good if she chewed them off within a day or two of applying them, and they need to be replaced when the nails grow out.

The squirt bottle isn't a bad idea, either. I've slept with a squirt bottle beside my pillow for awhile. I have a cat that likes to chew on my hair at night (unfortunately, I think he likes being squirted) and have had problems with cats attacking my feet and hands in my sleep.

If it won't be too annoying for you, you can try folding up an extra blanket over the bottom of the bed to keep your feet under. It'll keep her claws from getting through to your skin.

As for why she does it, who knows. Cats are strange (this coming from a cat lover who often identifies with cats). It could be that she chewed the cord, previously, when she was chasing your feet, and now blames the movement. It could be that she's feeling better and just wants to play. You'll probably never know WHY she suddenly needs to attack your feet at night.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to choose a jump box (jump starter) [ 3 Answers ]

There are so many out there, and I'm a bit lost I wonder what are the differences between them, and what should I be looking for (I drive a 2001 Chevy Astro if that matters)

Why is my cat sick at night ? [ 0 Answers ]

My 2 yr old black and white is quite healthy very lively eats wel , geta fed 3x a day last thing at 18 hrs but during the night he vomits up digested or undigested food . I brush mium daily so can eliminate wool- ball .

My cat had her kittens in the middle of the night [ 5 Answers ]

I found my cats kittens this morning and they were still in the sac two of them were so small and not in the sac but the third was huge and in the sac and she started eating them. She keeps eating and then stopping. What should I do for her and what do I do with the dead kittens? :(

Cat pee-white, Cat "sharts", horrible gas, screams at night [ 3 Answers ]

Please help me & my cat! I took in a stray in July- orange cat, had huge paws so I knew it was a little older, but I was STARVED! I have never seen a cat with bones sticking out like his! He had never been neutered but obviously at some point was someone's cat because he came right to us and is...

My cat came home last night and hasn't been the same [ 2 Answers ]

My in door cat got out yesterday and I tried to bring him inside but I am 9 months pregnant and I can't run as fast as him. Once he did come back inside he went strait to his chair and didn't leave it this morning, he always sleeps with us in the bedroom. When I woke up this morning I tried to pick...

View more questions Search