Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhiannahunt Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Apr 19, 2011, 11:40 PM
    Restraining order
    Can a non custodial parent put a restraining order on the custodial parent's spouse for previously abusing the child? There are police reports and the spouse was charged.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2011, 06:21 AM

Either parent can get a restraining order against the other.

If you want a restraining order keeping the other party away from YOU, then you would file in your local City/Town Court, asking for a restraining order and presenting proof.

Or are you asking how to keep that parent away from the child?

Apr 20, 2011, 11:15 AM
    Keep the other parents spouse Away from child
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 20, 2011, 11:31 AM

I suspect the court, if asked for a restraining order, would say that one is not necessary: the step-parent has already been charged with a crime and, if convicted, that should suffice.

Also, such an order, for the step-parent to keep away from the child, would have the effect of separating spouses. Perhaps a better solution would be a change in primary physical custody?

Apr 20, 2011, 11:45 AM
    We have already fought in court and did not win. But we suspect there is abuse going on again.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2011, 02:45 PM

You can't get a restraining order without proof. Police Reports and arrests are not proof if the person was found not guilty.

Suspecting and proving are two different things.

You have opened several threads about this same problem. Here's one of them - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...ed-458297.html.

If the other party has an Attorney your reports continue to be determined to be groundless you could very well be opening yourself up for legal action.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the difference between a restraining order and a behavioral order [ 9 Answers ]

If I have a restraining order now and want it changed to a behavioral order, what's the difference between the two

Restraining order [ 5 Answers ]

I am currentlly with a man who is married but has been separated from his wife for 2 years. He is finally starting divorce proceedings. When he and his wife first separated she took out a restraining order to the effect that I cannot be around their 3 year old daughter. It has been almost 2...

Can I get a restraining order? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband talks to his exwife every few weeks, just a civil "hey how ya doing" kind of thing. I have no problem with this, as we all grew up going to the sames schools etc. His exwife is in a relationship... the relationship that ended her marriage to my husband (she cheated on him and is still...

View more questions Search