Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Adispatcher Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2011, 06:41 PM
    Is it okay to switch formulas at 8 months old?
    Our son is 8 months old & has been on Similac Allimentum since he was two months old. Everything else either made him constipated, fussy, spit up etc. Allimentum was the only one that seemed to work & as most of you probably know, it's expensive. We even tried soy, didn't work either. So we kept him on Allimentum because it was worth it to not have him in any discomfort. We are on our last can of Allimentum (we stocked up the last couple months). Is it okay to try something different at this point? Something cheaper? Is there a chance he outgrew his reactions to the other formulas we tried in that past? And if so, what are some suggestions on what to put him on?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 19, 2011, 06:47 PM

It's okay to switch, with your pediatrician's blessings, of course.

You could ask your pediatrician if Enfamil AR would work for him. It's much less expensive.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2011, 06:53 PM

Best to check with his doctor before making a change. Often it is the cow based formulas that cause a problem for some babies, but this will sometimes clear up by this time as their digestive system will have matured more and be better able to break down the proteins in the formula. His doctor may suggest trying him on a soy based formula before an introduction at a later time to a cow based milk.

Apr 19, 2011, 07:11 PM
    Ahh okay thanks! I'll contact his ped tmrw.

Apr 22, 2011, 07:03 AM
    Okay, so I checked w/my son's ped. She told us that he's old enough now that he can probably handle a different formula, so we put him on gentle ease formula, only prob is now he's spitting up, both times he's had this formula (he's had two bottles of it so far). Any suggestions?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2011, 02:13 PM

How much is he spitting up? Is it regular spitting up or more projectile and forceful? Does he seem to be in discomfort soon after a feed?

It could be he just needs to adjust to the change in formula. In most cases, if it is limited to some spitting up, he is likely fine.

You can try smaller, more frequent feeds, for a bit so he is taking in a lesser amount each time, and see if it makes any difference for him.

Some babies will just naturally spit up more than others... and it can look like quite a bit. However, if they do not appear to be in pain, they continue to gain weight, are content most of the time, and have no other "symptoms"... rash, change in bowel movements, etc. it is more a concern for parents than for baby.

Certainly let his doctor know if it continues and you feel it is more than just regular spitting up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Create the formulas for the 10 column accounting worksheet using Excel formulas? [ 3 Answers ]

I need help with the formulas for the 10 column accounting worksheet using Excel IF function?

Dating 6 months [ 32 Answers ]

I have been dating a guy for 6 months. He says he loves me but I found out that he is cheating on me... He has a drinking problem. Please tell me how to let go and walk away. I love him and that isn't easy to do. Not only that but about 2 weeks ago he got mad and broke my windshield. Like a fool I...

Clotting still 5 months after miscarrage [ 1 Answers ]

I miscarried oct 6, 06 I didn't have a d&c I have had several ultra sounds since they say every thing is fine I have been put on methergine, antiinflammtory, antibiotics, an pervera, an still doesn't help every time I start the 2nd day is when it happens I have some clots different sizes bigger...

Calc. Empirical formulas and molecular formulas [ 1 Answers ]

:eek! : a sample is made of 18g of C and 81.5g of H... the molecular mass of the compound is 104g/mole calc. the empirical formula... calc. the molecular formula OK.. so I got the moles, I think.:confused: . C= 18g X 1mole = 1.4987g 1 ...

View more questions Search