Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ant123253 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2007, 10:09 PM
    Frightened Pomeranian
    We found a 6 month old pomeranian on our doorstep a few months ago. After taking her to the vet to check for micro chip we ended up keeping her. When we first approached her she began to shake violently and when we backed away she relaxed. She is used to us now but whenever a stranger is on the streets or comes to visit she begins to tremble again. Also when in sight of another dog she will run in the opposite direction no matter what I do.

Also I was walking her and a cat popped out and she also made a run for it. I found this extremely unusual because it should really be the other way around.

Any ideas on how to fix the people and dog problem?
    ant123253 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2007, 10:17 PM
    I do hold her and let other people play with her. Eventually she gets used to them but when a new person comes that she hasn't seen she does the same thing. Even people she has seen and played with she will start trembling at the sight of them. But thanks
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Jan 24, 2007, 09:52 AM
    I work with extremely timid rescue dogs all the time as a foster mom. In addition to time and patience, I try to take them to obedience school. I know it scares the be-jeepers out of them at the beginning, but it is an excellent socialization and confidence building event.

The other thing to realize is that Poms are naturally very high strung and shiver a lot from anxiety. While many are often very forward and bark a lot, this high level of excitability can also make them the opposite.

I will not guess about whether this will pass without personally meeting the dog so I can watch it. I have had tons who get better and are perfectly well adjusted and can be adopted, and I have had a couple who just never came around (though they tend to be puppymill breeder dogs)

Best wishes

-Beth
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Some dogs will trust anybody that gives them a treat. I have carried a 35 mm film canister withkibble in it to give to strangers. Otherwise, stick to Beth's advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pomeranian Toilet Training [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old pomeranian, when she needs to do a number 1 or 2 she won't go down to the grass she does in on the back verandah in front of the door. How can I teach her to do it on the grass which is down the stairs from the verandah?

How do I train my 5 month old Pomeranian not to go potty in the house? [ 2 Answers ]

A quick remedy for teaching my 5 month old Pomeranian, not to go potty in the house. I just bought him 2 days ago.

Overweight Pomeranian [ 4 Answers ]

Am caring for a neighbor's 5-year-old neutered male Pom. Vet told neighbor that dog is overweight. We need to know what dog's weight should be in order to use feeding charts to help dog loose the excess weight. Does anyone know how to determine this dog's ideal weight?

14 months female Pomeranian renal failure suspect ethylene glycol poison please HELP! [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 14 month old female pomeranian. She was fine two days ago. Then on Saturday, I notice she wasn't barking like she normally do. She wasn't eating. She drank but vomits it right out. On Sunday, she was shaking. The vet clinic was closed on the weekend, so today (Monday) I bought...

View more questions Search