Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2011, 01:31 PM
    Angel fish
    I'm setting up a new aquarium. Everything is stable and fine, it's been several days. Now I'm looking at fish.

I LOVE angelfish. I know there are both miniature and regular size. I'm told the miniature aren't as hardy but they don't need all the room the regular size need. I'm told no more than one "angel" per 10 gallons (for the larger size).

Anyone have any luck with them? I get all sorts of conflicting information.

Or am I back to the "standard" fish?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2011, 07:06 PM
    The ones we have in south Florida are over 12 inches, 10 gallons may be cruel. I think smaller fish with more room would be better? My opinion?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 10, 2011, 10:15 PM

My dad always had angel fish. He had a lot of luck with them. His were about the size of a grown mans palm, not including the fins, by the time they were full grown. Beautiful fish, but very aggressive.

It was hard to have any other fish in the tank with them, unless they could fend for themselves. My dad loved neon tetras but they were just the right size for the angel fish to eat. The other fish that were big enough to not get eaten usually had their fins bitten, or died because the angel fish would fight with them.

My dads favorite angel fish lived 10 years.
    Helli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2011, 06:05 PM
    I have a 33 gallon tank and had 4 Angel Fish for quite a while. Actually years (8) do best with no other fish in tank. I gave them regular flake food and mixed it with some blood worms, they loved it! Good luck!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2011, 08:52 PM

I also found out the hard way that Neon Tetras and Angels don't mix.
    Sorry I don't remember the specifications of the tank (I was about 10 when we had them) but I think it was around 2 foot wide and we had 3 medium sized Angels in there with a few other smaller fish...
    Before long we only had the 3 Angels.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 12, 2011, 06:22 PM

I have an angel fish in a 21 gal high. He is getting bigger, and I am looking at bigger tanks. He's a bit bigger then the palm of my hand. Gouarmi's are beautiful fish, and the dwarf species generally doesn't get too big, unless you get a pearl gouarmi, they are part of the cichlid family and can get to giant sizes.

So how big is your tank?

Here is a pic of the Rainbow Gouarmi (these one's are the dwarf gouarmi's).

TrekLens | Flame Gourami Photo
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JWAFZxs4Wo...lue+gurami.jpg

Here is a picture of the pearl Gouarmi's, these tend to be more aggressive and need more space and ample plants for hiding.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/People/hurley-pearl.jpg
    Dogs Expert

Apr 12, 2011, 06:25 PM

Oh yes, the reason I was telling you about the Gourami's is because they are fairly hardy fish. Much more so then an Angel Fish, which with my experience need to be in a well established tank, at least 6 months or so. I started with 3 Angel Fish and had lost all 3 within a month. Received one about 7 months into my tank and he/she is doing amazing.

Also Phantom tetra's are really unique. They change colour as they age. They start kind of transparent and black, and end up being neon green or purple and black. Also hardy (most tetras are).
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2011, 02:14 AM

My parents use to breed Discus, they are beautiful fish. They grow quite large but they're quite hardy. Put it this way, they had not much clue when it came to fish, bought 4 discus and they started breeding as soon as they were big enough.

Only down side with them is you are looking at around $50 for a baby... closer to $500 for an adult.

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2011, 10:42 AM

The tank is 40 gallons. I did all the testing and bought 8 Gouramis on Tuesday. Today there are 6 but no bodies. I suspect these 6 murdered the other 2 and buried their bodies in the gravel - or something.

The good news is that I have no time to get into trouble - between counting fish, testing the water, going to the fish store my hands are full.

LOVE the Discus - fantastic! So, unfortunately, is the price.

My late husband had a salt water tank in his condo and the "fish guys" came in and took care of it. It was beautiful - but expensive to maintain.
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Apr 14, 2011, 10:51 AM
    I have bred them years ago,and have kept a pair of breeders. With 3 of their offspring I keep 5 large and I mean large ones in a 46 gallon Euro-Bow front tank. They are Veil-tail and koi-angles. I also love cardinals and neon's. In order to keep them with angles, I grow them in a separate 20 gal tank till they don't fit in the angles mouth. Every now and then one will be missing. I'm sure eaten, but that's the risk you take. There is nothing like color in the tank. They all come from the Amazon region, so the water parameters are the same for tetras and angels.
    They are territorial when they breed other wise they don't bother anyone. I agree with Shazamataz Discus are great, however they are docile and should be kept alone. They also get larger than angels, but the colors and choices are worth the money.
    Also, don't forget angles and discus require tall tanks over long ones. With their fins they are quite tall and therefore need the extra room.
    P.S. I always recommend to overkill on your filter, it makes maintenance a lot easier. I use a Fluval 405 on the 46 gal. It needs a cleaning maybe 4 times a year.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 14, 2011, 03:14 PM

Judy, check your filter. Mine have gone "missing" and found them during regular cleaning. What types of Gouarmi's did you get? I've always loved salt water fish, but I hear they are not for the novice fish owner. Good choice by the way with the Gourami's. Beautiful fish In my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 20 gallon fish tank and my fish are dying [ 6 Answers ]

I got a fish tank and evrything was good and my fish were having fish, and I just added water to the fish tank and just 2 days ago I notes that every time that I check my fish tank there are a lot of fish dead I want to know why?

Who sings angel... oh angel... [ 4 Answers ]

I don't remember anythink else... Only that in one point says... " Aaangel....oh angel..."

Fish are dying. Again in fish tank. [ 3 Answers ]

Ph is high in this, the second try. All my fish died a few weeks ago, over night. Cleaned out tank and have introduced a few new fish. Now they have began to die. The ph is high, and I am trying to bring it down using peat moss this time. I have a coral rock in the tank. Could this be a problem...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

I was his Angel [ 2 Answers ]

I recently posted something about a 2year relationship that went Sour and now I am left with a memory of a guy I thought I was going To marry. I went through the motions and hurt and was that he was There for me for my cancer surgeries. It was the timing, I had a lot Of medical problems the...

View more questions Search