Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glenn Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2011, 08:48 PM
    Ceiling fan tapped into switch line?
    Hi,

I just finished installing a ceiling fan. Since I had access to the attic, I found a hot wire in the attic and tapped into it. Once I was finished, the ceiling fan did not seem to spin very fast. I also noticed that a floor lamp plugged into the light switch near the bedroom door was flickering when I turned on the ceiling. Worse yet, the ceiling fan would not run when I turned off the floor lamp at the lamp itself.

So I'm guessing that I tapped into the line that runs from the wall switch to the lamp. And all the current is going through the filament of the light bulb. In fact, I believe the fan runs faster as the 3-way light switch is cycled.

What's the fix? I'm willing to abandon the wall outlet if I can wire within the outlet where the floor lamp is.

Thanks for any advice.

Glenn

tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2011, 04:47 AM
    You need to find a true 120 volt source, seems you did cut into a cable that switched something, and you now have the lamp in series with the fan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Swapping Dual Light Switch for Dimmer/Three Position Switch for Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to swap out a dual switch for a switch that has a dimmer for the ceiling fan light and a three position switch to control the fan. The original wiring had white to white on switch, black to black on switch, and one black from light connected to the top switch pole and the other black...

Trying to wire ceiling fan switch and 2-3way light switches for ceiling lht/fan combo [ 5 Answers ]

I have 1 single pole switch for fan, and 2 three way switches to run light only. The power in is by the double box that will house the fan switch and the #1 light 3way. The other box houses the other three way switch. My fan switch is turning the light on and off, the three ways are doing nothing....

Ceiling Fan-One switch, ceiling, 3 white, 3 black, red [ 5 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan I am replacing. There is one wall switch. In the ceiling there is 3 black wires connected together, 3 white together and a red. I didn't notice any other wires and evidently, wrongly assumed the red was a ground. I connected the fan black and blue to the ceiling black and...

Tapped phone line? [ 5 Answers ]

My neighbor told me that her boyfriend rigged her lines in her apartment. She told me she could hear everything I'm saying on the phone. She has a cordless And I have a cordless. Do you think she's just pulling my leg? Or do you think I Should just talk on a regular phone so she...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

View more questions Search