Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ApoorvGoel Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2011, 01:07 PM
    Q.If O and o' are circumcentre and orthocentre of triangle ABC , than OAvector +OBvector +OCvector equals
    1. 2oo'vector
    2. oo'vector
    3. o'ovector
    4. 2o'ovector

please give your choice with correct explanation

Q. If a,b,c are non-coplanar unit vectors such that avector cross (bvector cross cvector) = (bvector+cvector)/sqrtroot2,
    then the angle between avector and bvector is
    1. 3pi/4
    2. pi/4
    3. pi/2
    4. pi
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Apr 9, 2011, 09:32 PM
    If you look at the attached picture where I've drawn it out, you can see that the answer to the first question is the OO' vector.

The circumcenter, O, is constructed with blue lines. The orthocenter, O', is constructed with green lines.

You can see when the OA, OB, and OC vectors (shown in red) are added head to tail starting at O, the finish point is exactly O'.
    Attached Images

Apr 13, 2011, 02:48 PM
    Comment on jcaron2's post
    Thanks a lot for your answer
    Sir please also answer the 2nd question

Apr 13, 2011, 08:23 PM
    Here's how I approach the second question without putting too, too much thought into it:

The problem suggests that there's only one answer. That means that the angle between A and B is always the same, no matter what B and C vectors you choose. Hence if we can find the answer for some B and C combination, that must be the correct answer for all B's and C's.

Therefore, I choose to assume B and C are orthogonal unit vectors directed in the x and y directions, respectively. (If you write the vectors in terms of the typical I, j, and k unit vectors then B = I and C = j).

That means that the right side of the equation is equal to a unit vector directed at a pi/2 angle from B and C, but in the same plane.

Meanwhile, the cross-product in parentheses on the left side of the equation is equal to a unit vector in the z direction (a.k.a. the k vector).

So what vector A, crossed with k, results in the right side of the equation? One which is directed in the same plane as B and C directed along the -x and y directions. That puts it at an angle of 3pi/4 from B.

See the figure below for a better illustration of what I'm trying to say. The unit circle is just so you can see that the vectors all end up being unit length.
    Attached Images

Apr 14, 2011, 03:48 AM
    sir thanks for giving your answer but I am having trouble to understand that how did u say that the angle is 3pi/4
    sir the solution of this question( from the book from where I had given this question) is
    avector.bvector =-1/sqrt2
    cos@ = -1/sqrt2
    @=3pi/4
    where @ is the angle b/w A and B
    in this solution I am not able to understand that how did we get avector.bvector=1/sqrt2
    please help me

Apr 14, 2011, 08:39 AM

ApoorvGoel, sorry, there was a much easier way to approach this problem. :o

Are you familiar with Lagrange's formula (also known as a triple product expansion)?

The formula says:

The means that the right-hand side of your equation is equal to the right-hand side of Lagrange's equation:

Since the B and C vectors are independent, you can separate the above into two separate equations.

Therefore

Apr 22, 2011, 08:38 PM
    Thanks a lot for your answer

Apr 22, 2011, 09:16 PM
    You're welcome!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vectors [ 4 Answers ]

Assume that a and b are two vectors in R^3 with the property that a*x = b*x for every vector x in R^3. Must a = b? If so, prove it. If not, give a counterexample. what is this question asking?

Vectors [ 1 Answers ]

A man walks 18.5 km west, 24.0 km at 30 degrees northwest and then 12.0 km north. Show that the order of adding the vectors does not affect the resultant (to demonstrate make two diagrams for this). What is his resultant displacement? What distance did he walk?

Vectors- tension problem (application of addition of vectors) [ 1 Answers ]

An electronic score board of mass 500 kg is suspended from a ceiling making an angle of 70 degrees with the ceiling.The weight is evenly distributed. Determine the tension in the cables in newtons

How to do vectors [ 2 Answers ]

My name is chris and I am currently attending ITT technical. My question is how to do vector problems in trig.

About vectors [ 2 Answers ]

I'm facing problem how to visualise vevtors when our sir teaches... what exactly are vectors how do they look like... how can we easily understand these properties such as rings etc

View more questions Search