Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cybersixdata Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2011, 09:29 AM
    How to deal with a break in a relationship?
    This is my frist relationship and he asked for a break, I am wondering if I would freak out because he doen't want to be around me for a while? I am going to do what he wants and give him this break but I don't even know to deal with this. It has been three days now on this break and I have crying for two of the days. I will be talking to him. When you are on a break are you aloud to go out on dates and kiss other guys? I don't even know, because on Facebook we are single. How long should I wait for him to? Or should I give him a week and ask him if he wants me back? Anything will help
    adviceishere Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 492
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2011, 10:18 AM

Did he not say how long this break should last? If you didn't ask him out straight! Say " i just wanna clear up a few things before we continue this break, are we dating other people and how long do you want a break?" both 2 reasonable questions and 2 very important questions that should have been sorted before this started, does he expect you to wait a year? Put your foot down here! Demand an answer and decide if you want to wait... good luck.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2011, 11:55 PM

How old are you?

Generally speaking,asking for a break,is often a cowardly way to break up whilst leaving the backdoor open in case they change their minds.

I would go on living my life and consider myself single if I were you.

Waiting around for someone to change their mind is never a good idea.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2011, 01:20 PM

Most of the time, when guys ask for a break they really want a break-up and are simply calling it a "break" in case they change their mind sometime down the road.

You need to treat this as a true break-up and move on.

You didn't indicate how long you'd been seeing each other, but do go complete "No Contact" and give yourself time to heal before you date anyone else.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2011, 08:14 PM

Break is a break.. Go your separate ways and if the future wants you two to be together, your paths will meet again.

Treat this break as if it were an actually break up. Heal, and move on. Don't talk him, he can't have both.. He is either with you or he's not...

Yes you can go on dates, yes you can kiss other guys if you feel its right. You are no longer with your x boyfriend. Live your life and enjoy the company of friends, family and maybe even some guy friends.

Just keep in mind, you are worth gold.. and your xboyfriend took advantage of that and walked away. Go strut your stuff!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 3, 2011, 11:55 AM

ERROR: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Devorameira again.

ERROR: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to amicon again.

Facebook says single, so you are free to be single, and don't worry about him at all. That's his problem.

Move on and do your thing, let him do his!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to deal with a break up after 4 years [ 8 Answers ]

OK everyone so here goes, My boyfriend and I dated for just under 5 years. We met when I had just finished school I was 18 and am now 23 ans he is 25. We had a great relationship, we hardly ever fought expect for the occasional little disagreement which was usually over something petty. Most...

How to deal with a break up? [ 6 Answers ]

I just recently found myself in an eerie situation and am in the midst of working through the emotions. Do you have advice for how best to get through the lonely hours without contacting her knowing full well that any advance no matter how much love and patience is expressed will not end in my...

How to deal with a college relationship break. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I have asked a few questions on this website and love the results I get. They have been nothing but helpful and help me through a lot of situations. My question starts with before I left for college that is 2 hours away from her at home. About three weeks before I left I met this...

How to deal with ex (and myself) after 3 year relationship. [ 5 Answers ]

This may be a little long, but please take the time to read I could really do with some advice. I met my ex at school when we were 16. She was absolutely GORGEOUS, everyone at school knew of her and stared at her. I had a couple of classes with her and found out through one of her friends she...

View more questions Search