Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jaanu Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 10:50 AM
    My Mother
    My mom is a little crazy. First I thought she was stupid but now I'm pretty sure she's crazy. First some background information on my mother, she's illiterate and has very little education, OK that's enough background information. The problem is that she's convinced that there are cameras in the house watching us, from the TV, the walls, and the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. She's also convinced that TV personalities like regis and kelly, oprah, and tyra banks are talking to her and sending her secret messages that only she can understand. What the hell am I supposed to do? It's driving me crazy, I actually punched a hole straight through the wall, AND I'm a tiny woman for crying out loud. Please somebody give me some advice.:eek:
    thedogghater Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 11:07 AM
    This is way out of your help that you can provide her.see needs doctors help and care,this could become very dangers for you to.iam no doctor or expert but I had to put my mother in a home for the same problems,she became to hard to deal with. I wish the best of luck.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2007, 11:11 AM
    She needs to see a mental health professional. Sounds like a textbook case of paranoid schizophrenia, but I'm not medically qualified so don't take my word for it.
    tamed Posts: 255, Reputation: 33

Jan 22, 2007, 11:22 AM
    thedogghater and ordinaryguy are right, it does sound like your textbook schizophrenia to me and the best thing to do would be to get her to see a psychiatrist asap.
    Good luck
    deo182 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 01:51 PM
    I suggest you take your mother to see a psychotrist and get professional help. She should be on medication. I recommend rispirtal it helps people see reality.

Mar 12, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Thank you to all of you for your help. Its is definitely schizophrenia. She was recently hospitalized because she panicked and called the cops and they send her to a mental hospital. She was really bad over there and I don't understand why they let her out so soon. She refuses to take the medication and to go to the psychiatrist. I really don't know what to do with her, my dad also refuse to believe that something is wrong with her and threatens to call the police on me if I send her to the hospital. I don't know what to do but thanks for all your help.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 12, 2007, 01:36 PM
    If she refuses to take hers meds, and the doctors or police think she is a danger to herself or others, you could have her sectioned. Its not nice, but it does the job. My partner has been sectioned many times (he is still under section now) and it was the best thing for him in the end.

Mar 12, 2007, 01:38 PM
    What is sectioned? I don't understand really what that means, so can you explain it to me please
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 12, 2007, 01:43 PM
    I don't know what the US term for it is. Its basically where the doctors and police have you admitted to a mental hospital and you cannot leave until they tell you that you can, and even once you have left you have to take your meds and have regular visits with your doctors to check on your progress. If my partner misses an appointment and they can't get hold of him they send out people to find him! They have never had to do that yet thankfully!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 01:57 PM
    If you are in the U.S. it is called involuntary commitment. Funny this post come up because schizophrenia and commitment was the lecture for the day at school today.

Now to be involuntarily committed you must be a danger to yourself and/or others.

If you are in the U.S. there is a very resourceful group of people who I am involved with called The National Alliance on Mental Illness, NAMI for short.

Click on NAMI above to find your state and maybe give them a call. They are there to help people and the families who suffer with mental illness.

Also, please understand that schizophrenia is a multifacited mental illness. There are a great many people who refuse to take their meds because they refuse to believe they are ill. It is usually only under severe circumstances that they begin, and continue, to take their meds.

Although this is rough for you I am sure, I am glad you finally got a diagnosis.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Mar 12, 2007, 02:29 PM
    You might also call the doctor who prescribed the medication she won't take and ask about any resources for help that might be available. Bear in mind that there are many functional mentally ill people in the US who aren't enough of a risk to qualify for being involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric hospital. It certainly doesn't help that your dad doesn't see what you see. In many states, like where I live in Florida, we have the Baker Act but it only allows for the patient to be legally held for three days. You may need to take some precautions about protecting yourself from too much exposure to her -- its not easy having an ill parent, I know!
    melissa1978 Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

Jul 20, 2008, 10:40 AM
    You need to find out about getting someone "blue-papered" or committed. My ex-husband told me that he had teflon communication devices in his ears. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia about 5 years ago. He has done very well, and is currently off all psycotropic medications. He has had to work very hard. However, most schizophrenics need to stay on meds forever. Good luck with this, and please don't think that this is happening because she has little education. Mental illness knows no socioeconomic status. And as far as your father threatening you; he is probably afraid that he will lose his wife forever to this horrible disease. He sounds like he is in denial. Try to have patience with him. I am sure he is scared.

Jul 20, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Hi everybody, its been a while, thank you everybody for your help, I just want to say my mom is doing much better mashallah, I'm very thankful to god for her get back to her old self. I'm very over protective over her, and I love her to death and thanks to all of you for all your help! :)
    tamed Posts: 255, Reputation: 33

Jul 20, 2008, 05:13 PM
    You are welcome Jaanu and thank you for keeping us updated on your mother's well being, I'm glad to hear that she is doing well. Best wishes to the both of you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mother acts like a bill collector more than a mother [ 9 Answers ]

I need an opinion... my mother has lent me money for some computer programs and we get our cell phones together so I deposit mine in her account every month to pay for mine and pay her monthly to pay her back for my programs. Lately, my work has been slow, and I will not have the money until next...

Can't talk to my mother [ 14 Answers ]

I feel like I can't talk to my mother. She yells at me for the littlest things. I scared to talk to her! This isn't how it should be, so I need to know what to do!

My mother [ 8 Answers ]

My mother passed away two years ago. It was very painful. I have been reliving her last moments lately at night when I go to bed. I can see her sitting up as plain as she did, saying no... I am not ready to die. I feel like there is something I should have done. She had lung cancer and basically...

Please Help me help my mother [ 13 Answers ]

Hi my name is jermaine, I'm new to this board. My mother who is 65yrs of age has a occupier staying in her basement located in new york, he was paying a occupancy fee for a total of about 3-4 months. He stopped paying the occupancy fee in end of June and stated that he will be leaving leaving...

Please help my mother! [ 6 Answers ]

My mother is 73 years old and she has 30,000.00 in credit card debt. She has depleted her savings and gets $490. A month in social security. She owns a home in a cooperative in NJ and can't get a reverse mortgage because Nj doesn't allow that on cooperatives. She was advised not to go bankrupt...

View more questions Search