Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shaylocos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Connecting Pvc to cast iron.
    I have a drain galvanized pipe from my sink that goes to the basement. It is connected into a cast iron pipe at the floor level. I have two leaks in it. (50 years old) one is 6" above the cast iron pipe. It is sealed with lead. How do I replace it with PVC?

Horace Oliver
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2007, 09:41 PM
    I am assuming that you can take the galvanized pipe out of the cast iron. So I will give you that kind of an answer. There are two ways that I can think of that would be fairly simple to attach the two together. The first is to take the galvanized out of the cast iron, replace it with PVC and then seal the connection with the oakum that came out of the joint and then buy some lead wool, Make small loose ropes out of the wool and pack them down into the hub of the cast iron around the PVC.

The second is to use a jab saw and cut the hub off the cast iron pipe then buy what is called a no hub cast iron connecter, it is more or less a rubber coupling with a stainless steel clamp wrapped around it,( No-Hub Clamp, see image) this can be drawn tight with clamps that are on the connector. Put this on the cast iron and slip the PVC into it and tighten.
    Attached Images

jayRoss Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu

The second is to use a jab saw and cut the hub off of the cast iron pipe then buy what is called a no hub cast iron connecter, it is more or less a rubber coupling with a stainless steel clamp wrapped around it,( No-Hub Clamp, see image) this can be drawn tight with clamps that are on the connector. Put this on the cast iron and slip the PVC into it and tighten.

RE: 2" (ID) cast iron drainpipe

I see from several posts, that the "no hub" connector is a solution for many connection problems. However, when using no-hub connector, is it absolutely necessary that the OD and ID of the both pipes be identical for a perfect fit and flow? If so, is matching PVC available for various drain pipe sizes? Thank you.

Jay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect pvc to cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to connect new PVC drain pipe to old Cast Iron drain pipe?

Pvc and cast iron pipe [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove pvc threaded coupling from rusted cast iron pipe? Want to be able to reinstall new pvc coupling in cast iron pipe. Thanks in advanced.

PVC into an Cast Iron opening [ 1 Answers ]

I have old cast iron drain pipes. The bathroom sink has a 2in galvanized pipe that screws into this cast iron pipe. The galvanized pipe is rusting out. Can I replace this galvanized pipe with plastic pipe?

Connecting pvc to cast iron [ 1 Answers ]

How can I connect a pvc pipe to a cast iron bell? What type of adhesive should be used?

Connecting PVC Line to Cast Iron pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I am adding a second bathroom to an older 1-1/2 story house. I had planned to tie into the existing waste line. The existing toilet is on the first floor and discharges directly into a vertical cast iron pipe which appears to be 6 inches in diameter. This vertical pipe connects in the crawl space...

View more questions Search