Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scotty13 Posts: 120, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2011, 07:32 PM
    My Drywall Repair Turned Into A SORE THUMB
    I just recently patched up some holes in my bathrooms were the ceramic towel and toilet paper was. This is my first time doing something like this. They seemed to turn out okay, until I painted over them and now they stand out like a sore thumb. Any suggestion how I can fix this bore I take a hammer, make another hole and start over?

Thanks, Scotty
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2011, 07:48 PM

Can u explain how u fixed them?

If u didn't prime and paint the whole wall, the patch will show because of oxidation of old paint.

Chuck

Mar 6, 2011, 08:07 PM
    I cut the drywall to fit and taped them down with joint tape. They seemed to start even to the wall. I was< I thought I was using the joint compound evenly.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 6, 2011, 08:18 PM

they stand out like a sore thumb
    I am assuming that that means you can see the edges or outline of the patch. That means you didn't sand well enough. When sanding drywall joint compound (mud) it is the edges you have to watch. When sanding joint compound if you can see where the mud starts or stops, chances are that it will show through the paint. The edges need to fade away so that you can't be sure where it starts or stops.

Now, you can sand away the paint to get down to the mud. You only have to sand the edges of the patch, not the whole patch. The center will take care of it self. I don't know how long it has been since you painted but you will probably have to wait a week or so to sand. The paint is dry on the surface but is probably still soft under the surface. It will only clog up the sandpaper.

Or, you can cover the edges of the patches with more joint compound, let dry and then sand smooth. Then re-paint.

Remember the edges have to sort of fade away. If you can see the edge unpainted, it will really show up when everything is the same color.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Mar 7, 2011, 02:42 AM
    Both answers are correct! The joint compund needs to be feathered out and the patch needs to be primed. Joint compound soaks up paint so it needs to be sealed with primer.

Mar 7, 2011, 05:58 AM
    I just painted the walls yesterday, so in a week I'll be able to sand the edges and repaint?

Mar 7, 2011, 07:01 PM
    If I bought a ELECTRIC PALM SANDER and sanded down the bumps (walls already painted) would that help without redoing the holes over?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2011, 07:53 PM

Matching texture can be difficult sometimes, Plaster, Drywall, Knockdown, Some can be very difficult to match.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 10:43 PM

Show us a picture of these patches. Try to make sure that the picture shows the imperfections.

Mar 8, 2011, 06:28 PM
    I got my brothers electric palm sander and sanded down the bumps, paint included. So far, I'm glad I did it. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Scotty

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drywall repair [ 3 Answers ]

My basement flooded and a water mitagation cut out 1foot of drywall throughout the basement walls, the basement is approx 1100 sq feet. I had 2 contractor give me estimates, 1 contractor stated that he would replace just 1foot of drywall throuhgout the basement The other contractor stated that to...

Drywall hole repair [ 10 Answers ]

An anchor in my drywall is loose and now the hole is too big. How do I repair the whole so I can re-use it for another anchor?

Drywall repair [ 5 Answers ]

I had to cut a hole in my bathroom wall to repair a leak. Now I have to repair this hole I cut in my wall. The hole I cut was 21" x 27". The problem is, to get to the stud I have to cut out 7 more inches and that will take me behind a pedestal sink and I don't want to do that. My question is, do I...

Repair drywall seam around shower stall-some mold in drywall [ 3 Answers ]

Paint on drywall seam --10 in .that surromds ouside od shower stall has cracked. Pulling it off I discovered the mesh drywall tape below showed no signs of mud and was on top of dryall which now has developed a 6 in length of mold--- Painter 3-years ago did not do proper job-what to do?

Drywall repair [ 11 Answers ]

I have a problem with 2 to 3 drywall seams on my ceiling. The seams open slightly creating unsightly cracks especially in colder weather. I've tried simply applying joint compound but eventually the seams open again. In the heat of Summer the seams close up. What can I do to eliminate this problem?

View more questions Search