Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Netty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Who can I claim
    My mom is disabled and has no other income besides SSI. I help her out 50% of the time, can I claim her on my taxes as a dependent?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2007, 11:40 AM
    If you provide more than 50% of her support, then yes.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Absolutely. In fact, if you have been providing over 50% of your mother's support for several years, you should go back and amend your returns for 2003, 2004 and 2005 and claim her as a dependent for those years as well. I have done such amendments over twenty times over the past 15 years and the IRS has never challenged their validity.

Do not forget to amend the state returns as well.

If you need help, contact me at [email protected] to discuss fees.

It is too late to amend the returns for 2002 and earlier, as there is a 3-year statute of limitations for claiming additional refunds on tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quick Claim [ 4 Answers ]

My sister passed away 2 months ago from a brief fight with cancer. (six weeks, age 50). Before she died she quit claim our fathers land to my brother and this was okay with the rest of kids. Then 3 weeks later my brother finds out he has cancer and dies 5 weeks later. He quit claims the land to me...

Civil Claim [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know the statute of limitations for a civil suite against a convicted sex offender (family)

Claim gone bad [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a home with an ex-boyfriend we took two lines of credit out on the home while he was still living there two of his credit cards were paid off in order for us to qualify. A year later I caught him cheating again he quit claimed the house to me, It was notarized and recorded. I refinanced...

Where to claim deduction? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know how and where to claim the deductions allowed under the India-US treaty. Do I add both the standard & personal deductions and put it under exemptions of form 1040? Also, do I claim both the deductions (3200 + 5000=$8000) on the state tax form as well? thanks in...

View more questions Search