Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badpenny Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Jan 19, 2007, 12:01 AM
    Motor idles high in park
    Why is it that my car idles high in park and seems to drop when in gear?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2007, 03:12 PM
    You need to check the basic idle rpm and possibly timing of your vehicle. Idle rpm is affected also by such things as the Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve and the ECM. The ECM controls current to the IAC Valve to maintain correct idle speed, when the engine is cold, the A/C compressor is on, the transmission is in gear (A/T only) or the alternator is charging.

See if the link below helps:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219948
    badpenny Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Jan 20, 2007, 11:12 PM
    Its an 83. No ecu, ecm or computer. Sorry, I should have explained better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda civic 97 idles erratically [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. Can you help me. I hope you can. I have honda civic coupe 98 non vtec. When engine runnig cold is OK, but when engine getting normal temperature the idles erratically. It is between 1000 and 2000.I checked idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, oxsigen sensor and many more. They...

Honda civic idles erratically. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. Can you help me. I hope you can. I have honda civic coupe 98 non vtec. When engine runnig cold is OK, but when engine getting normal temperature the idles erratically. It is between 1000 and 2000.I checked idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, oxsigen sensor and many more. They...

Moron with a mower that idles [ 4 Answers ]

Just inherited a Briggs mower that revs, then almost dies, revs, then almost dies. Then, as it was running out of gas, it ran hard like it should until it emptied. Did this twice. Air filter OK. Is this a carb issue? Any help greatly appreciated. In the last three months I've had a broken...

High Speed Blower motor [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Pulse 21 gas single zone forced air furnace. The blower motor is supposed to have 3 speeds. Right now everything works but when I turn on my AC the blower uses the same speed that it does for heat. Could there be something wrong or do I just need to rewire something?

View more questions Search