Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kitty_collins Posts: 7, Reputation: 4

Feb 22, 2011, 05:16 AM
    Dachshund problems - she won't play
    I've recently got a 3 year old Dachshund. She's really lively outside and is still warming up to us. One thing we have noticed is that she won't play. We have had this before with another Dachshund we got from a breeder years a go - this one just didn't seem to know how to plan (it took a very long time for her to understand how to chew a bone). I was wondering if there was anyway to encourage playing with the new dachshund. This is so she can entertain her self.

The new Dachshund came to us as she was in a home with 2 other dogs and got bullied by the dominant female. She is patchy in fur and has an upset tummy but this is most likely due to stress in her old home.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 22, 2011, 05:32 AM
    She may be enough traumatized that she will never play, or she may with enough time and love.
    She needs to know that whoever is with her, preferably sitting on the floor or ground so she can climb around and on you for contact, is not going to beat her up. That's much more important than whether she engages in 'play.' Don't be anxious about rushing any of this. All my pets have come from homes with something that went on that wasn't ideal, and each animal brought a different personality to my home.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2011, 08:40 AM

Agree with my colleague, Joypulv. The only thing I would add is that I have had dogs that simply were not interested in "playing." I have no idea why. My GSD LOVES her squeak toys but if anyone tries to participate in the game with her she watches but backs off. She LOVES it when she and my other dog chase and tug and wrestle around but stops when a person gets involved.

She isn't hand shy, loves to be combed, petted - just won't play, never has. She WILL play catch with great enthusiasm, though.

I have no idea why - she was a rescue but she was very young when I got her.
    kitty_collins Posts: 7, Reputation: 4

Feb 22, 2011, 09:42 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Ah okay. This is a shame, we miss playing with our dogs as the very first one we got was lovely and playful. Still, this new one seems normally shy considering and is doing well in general anyway. I don't think she likes men very much but hopefully she'll warm up. How lovely little dachshunds are :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2011, 02:39 PM

I have one here who will chase a ball for hours and play fetch all day.

I have another who will take toys and 'mother' them and just hold onto them.

I have another who really does not care for toys at all.

It is just different personalities.

How long have you had her for? DO you make sure she has plenty of time away from the other dogs during the day?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dachshund puppy problems [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, we have an adorable little dachshund puppy (3months old) who is unfortunately being extremely aggressive :( and I don't know what to do! The vet suggested we react aggressively and yell at him and bang on a surface near him to scare him, but from what I can see the more aggressive I get the...

Dachshund Back Problems [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old mini dachshund 10 Lbs who has developed a lower back problem. Feb, couldn't walk, treated with steroids for a few weeks, became better. Than July same problem, steroids again. I have limited all her jumping (furniture) and try to keep her quite on the floor level. My question...

Puppy 12 weeks. Won't play--dachshund [ 1 Answers ]

We just got a new mini dachshund. He's about 12 weeks, now. He doesn't seem to want to get out of bed. He will eat and he poops and pees all right but he doesn't seem to want to get out of his bed, play, etc. He is also nervous; shakes all the time. I was worried that he might be sick,...

Problems with feeding my miniature dachshund [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mini dachshund, about 7 months now. The only way he will eat anything is if my mom or I feed him... with a spoon. We started this when he was a small pup because he will not even touch his food and he seemed to detest food that is hard to chew. So we changed his diet to raw chicken crushed...

Dachshund back problems [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old mini dachshund one day she was running and jumping the next I am rushing her to the emergency vet because she can't stand. Does back problems start all of the sudden or is this something that starts to show symptoms?

View more questions Search