Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jersey2777 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Feb 21, 2011, 04:05 PM
    Does MI allow a waiver to become an RN w/ non-violent, non-drug related felonies?
    I understand that typically to be hired, it is on a case-by-case basis, however, once I complete school, will I even be able to get licensed? I live in an area where the health care field employees approx 75% of the community in some form or another. The felony is over 7 years old. I REALLY would like to do this, am extremely intelligent, and with the exception of the record - look great on paper, and am a very sympathic/empathetic person who could do wonders in the health care industry. I am willing to do full disclosure and am VERY good at accepting responsibility for my past mistakes.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 05:35 PM

I would venture to say that you will not be able to be employed in MI with any kind of felony. It's also possible you would not be able to do your clinicals while in school.

The best thing would be for you to call your state board of nursing and ask them this question.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 05:54 PM

I have my doubts, I know in my field, because of Medicaid and medicare rules, the accreditation groups we use, will not accept any employee who has patient contact to have any felonies. And they run yearly background checks on all current employees.

Feb 21, 2011, 07:34 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Do you feel that ANY job in the health care field is off-limits? I know I must sound very single-minded about this, but it's so frustrating to have passed 3 bad checks as a 19-yr old kid and now be 34 yrs old without so much as a traffic ticket since then and STILL be paying for that initial mistake. I especially feel bad because there are people who TRULY see the error their ways, and by barring employment to people who obviously have moved on from that phase of their life, they are hindering their future, and possibly putting them back into a bad situation. Sorry, a little off topic there... I appreciate your input.

Feb 21, 2011, 07:34 PM
    Comment on J_9's post
    Do you feel that ANY job in the health care field is off-limits? I know I must sound very single-minded about this, but it's so frustrating to have passed 3 bad checks as a 19-yr old kid and now be 34 yrs old without so much as a traffic ticket since then and STILL be paying for that initial mistake. I especially feel bad because there are people who TRULY see the error their ways, and by barring employment to people who obviously have moved on from that phase of their life, they are hindering their future, and possibly putting them back into a bad situation. Sorry, a little off topic there... I appreciate your input.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 07:38 PM

Again, I don't see it happening, but you will have to apply to the board and get them to rule on it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 08:24 PM

I'm going to reiterate what Chuck said. I really don't see it happening.

I am a Registered Nurse and had to pass several levels of background checks. Most facilities will not hire anyone with a felony count of any kind.

Again, only your State Board of Nursing can answer your questions. A lot also depends if you are in a multi-state license state, as I am.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my PO drug test me if I am not on drug related probation? [ 11 Answers ]

That's pretty much my question

Can someone become engineer if they've had drug felonies years ago [ 1 Answers ]

What would the chances of my fiancé getting a job as a marine/ocean engineer (after schooling) with past felonies and a class A misdemeanor battery conviction (class 2 drug felony and a class A misdemeanor battery) be since they were from 1990 to 2002? He WANTS to go back to school and get a...

Would I get drug tests performed when I'm on probation for non-drug related charges? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm will be on probation for 6 months, I am getting charged with a gross misdemeter for tampering with a vehicle and a gross misdemeter for possession of stolen property. How often would I get tested? How soon after I get put on probation will I get tested? Will I even get tested for those charges?

Is ADHD drug related? [ 6 Answers ]

This could go under so many things.. and I couldn't decide to choose children, mental and emotional health, disabilitys, medical conditions, and diseases. So I just stuck with this one. :D my mother had me at 17, the age I am now. Surprise surprise.. my dad was 34 I think.. I know gross. But my...

Drug Related [ 1 Answers ]

If I'm in Yonkers, New York and my fiancé has a drug case up here but we want to move to Virginia with his mother how do we go about transferring his probation up there?

View more questions Search