Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RJFLETCHER Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2011, 11:48 AM
    Required distance between GFIC outlet to bathroom lavatory
    Counter with double vanity was replaced with wall-hung lavatory to accommodate handicap. Existing GFIC outlet was not relocated and is directly above the faucet (approximately 2" - 3". Wall-hung lavy is single hold faucet with front overflow. Original GFIC installed in 1998 or 1999. Does NEC and California electrical code requirements accept distance of the GFIC in the proximity of the newly installed lavatory/sink.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 08:14 PM

The NEC does not!

However, the GFCI receptacle must be within 3 ft. of the basin edge.

Do you need the code article and section?
    RJFLETCHER Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2011, 08:41 PM
    Thank you very much for your assistance. Yes, may I have the code article and section. Is this information stated in the NEC 2011 or a publication within the last two years?
    Home_Inspector Posts: 44, Reputation: -1

Feb 21, 2011, 11:54 PM
    At least one GFCI protected receptacle must be installed within 36" of the outside edge of the lavatory. (IRC E 3801.6)

The NEC code referance is NEC 210.8 A
    Nowhere does it say how close it can be mounted just the maximun distance away... Regardless of code, common sense would come into play here and suggest you not install it so closely, but as far as code goes no problem that close to the faucet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Distance between electrical outlet and lavatory [ 5 Answers ]

What's the building code says about the distance between electrical outlet and lavatory?

GFIC Electrical Outlet stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

I replaced the lightbulbs in our vanity mirror and put in 60W instead of 40W because I couldn't find a label that told me the maximum wattage. I realized my mistake when only 3 of the bulbs would work. I replaced them with 40W and everything was fine. Now, the GFIC outlet on that sink won't...

When are GFIC outlets required? [ 1 Answers ]

Are GFIC outlets required by building code in MS within three feet of bathroom sinks?

Continuing a circuit after a GFIC outlet is installed [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - I'm in the process of finishing my basement and am running a new 20 amp circuit to about 6 outlets and then into a GFIC circuit in a bathroom. My question is if it is okay to continue the circuit from the GFIC to a set of bathroom switches controlling the bathroom vanity light and bathroom...

View more questions Search