Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennysch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2011, 08:04 AM
    Can roofing material be damaged by sun and rain prior to installation
    Our roofing contractor put all the material for reshingling our roof, on our roof nearly 4 weeks ago. In that time the unprotected felt has been exposed to sun and rain. Can the felt be damaged?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2011, 05:00 AM

As long as the felt is not torn by wind it should be fine.

Chuck
    renerabril Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2011, 08:20 PM
    Yes it can. I am 57 years old and have spent a considerable part of my life in the roofing business.
    First, if the heat wherever they are stored is high enough, the shingles will laminate to each other and when you tear them apart you will sometimes also tear of some much needed asphalt sealant which is a measured amount on each shingle. Not only does this damage the shingle but it may also have some warrantee implications. Tar paper should never be reused if it has been on the roof too long, after several days of hot and dry climate the moisture in the felt will equalize and it will not furnish the quality vapor barrier you expected.
    renerabril Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2011, 04:33 PM
    Once it has gotten wet fis okay to leave uncovered overnightelt is no longer a vapor barrier and will probably buckle. It is okay to leave uncovered overnight but not much longer.
    sidingpro Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2011, 11:48 AM
    4 weeks! Wow!

I've been a tewksbury roofing contractor for almost 20 years and I, like others have said, wouldn't let it go one night, let alone 4 weeks. Now, if you had a synthetic felt, like deck armor, I would be saying something different.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rain damaged concrete [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Florida and just had concrete poured to extend the pool deck. While the contractor was pouring the slab it began raining heavily and they were not able to completely cover it. Now there is aggrigate showing and "water pits". How can this be Just a quick question.

Which material type for rain gutters is recommended, aluminum vs. Steel? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a cold climate with snow in the winter and wind of course, it is Wyoming. The wind on average can be 20 mph during winter / spring and can gust up to 35mph with a severe storm. I have spoken with a contractor that handles steel and another contractor that handles aluminum gutters. The...

Flat roofing material [ 0 Answers ]

I have some estimates for rolled roofing and one for torch down roofing to replace my current patio roof. Do you know how long each type of roofing lasts and which is better at resisting water?

Roofing material costs. [ 1 Answers ]

What are some of the average costs per square of asphalt versus metal roofing?

Roofing material [ 1 Answers ]

Is fibreglass an appropriate material for a slanting roof?

View more questions Search